Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering pump differences/leak

Toadshade

Country Flag
united_states
I have noticed that the steering in my '92 HDJ80 is different than it was in my 1995 gas. The '95 was a smoother, nicer steering than my '92 and it even had bigger tires. The pump in my '92 is leaking so I wanted to know if that is a characteristic of the older model (The two are different and not interchangeable). The reasoning is that if that is just what the pump feels like, then I would be willing to get a rebuild kit and reseal it rather than get a new pump which is costly enough to make me put it off for a little while.

Any air getting in will cause the fluid to foam, air being compressible as opposed to fluid this can cause a 'stuttering' to the steering feel. Also a lot of 80's have variable assistance steering, there is a valve that sticks causing the steering to be heavier than normal, a change of fluid is easy and this normally frees the variable valve, I would rebuild the pump, easy enough and cheap, and of course the fluid gets changed which will only benefit the system.

Regards

Dave

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for that. Didn’t know about the valve. That sounds like a potential issue. I know what that air feels like in the steering system and luckily that isn’t happening right now although it wouldn’t surprise me if there is air in there. Won’t hurt to try a rebuild first.

Back