Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strange sound from cold start driving

essexgary

Hi guys
I drove the 120 the other day for the first time and loved it. But, on driving it from a cold start it had a winey rubbing sound on acceleration. The sound went within a few miles though. I said to the garage that it needed sorting along with a couple of other bits before I took ownership of it.

Just wondered if this is a chareturistic (dorry cant spell either) of the car or if you had an idea of possible fault, just so I can be armed when I find out if they have sorted or not.

Cheers
Gary
Oh it's a 2005 lc5 with 30000 miles on clock

Shoudn't be much wrong with 30000 miles on it. Lucky sod :thumbup:. Where did you find that one? There are only one or two issues with LCs, 1 in the engine is the most important and if you do a quick search on engine woes you'll soon find it. A very easy remedy now with a change of sealing washer on the injectors and you'll be OK. With that low mileage, your car may just be creaking and moaning a bit from lack of use. I bought one a while back that was more or less idle for a year and it had a few silly things: the door switches were sticking 'off' as they were pressed in for so long and the wipers were a bit knackered from sitting unused and so on. Check all your disks and brakes as at about 6k miles/yr that LC hasn't exactly done much! Check the height control system in all settings and the centre diff lock. Check the height control in it's highest and lowest settings and drive it in each of these settings and above a certain speed it will revert to normal 'mid' setting automatically. There are a few reported gremlins withthe height control system in teh rear but these seems to be few and far bteween. Mine was a used and abused LC when I got it and I had no issues at all really, which is a testament to the general simple but sound build quality and design. I've a few bits for sale if you search the For Sale section that will suit your LC5, in particular the current sat nav DVDs. ;) (if your system is the MkI version that is. It changed about '05-'06 somewhere to a MkII. If on startup your text is beige type colour it MkI and green is MkII). Good luck with it and enjoy. :thumbup:

Did you use the engine pre-heater? Switch on right of steering wheel below the mirror switch?

Can you describe the source of the noise - engine? Drive train? Wheels?

They are noisy on a cold start though! To do with the way the ECU tries to get everything goingband warmed up...

Cheers

If you had the preheater (button in front of your right knee) on then it would be that. I've had muck in the clutch on mine which moaned badly when engaged (engine cold). Tommo's (90 D4D) had the same. If you want them to check it, they'll only hear it when the engine is cold (temp needle below 1/4).

Also, as mentioned, they are generally pretty noisy when cold. At -21 mine sounded like a dustbin of bolts.

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the quick replys (and sorry for my slow response). I will have to have a re-listen to try and discribe it, but deffinatly from outside, and would say from engine area. I know thats a big area to say, but will give you a better reply when i have another drive. Didnt know about the pre=heat button, so will look out for that too.

Cant wait to get my hand on it full time. So Saturday cant come quick enough....

Gary

Back