Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Subjective MOTs

Mblinko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Having passed last year with a bunch of advisories, which admittedly sent my eyebrows up at the time, today it sailed through with no advisories and having not addressed any of last years ones.

I guess that's the system- but I do wonder if it's a butt covering thing.

still ..... happy days

They do seem inconsistent. Some years I get advisories for having an under engine cover fitted (bash plate to you and me). Some years they don't bother - same place and same geezer doing the test!

Taken mine to same place since 1998. Never had an advisory to the best of my memory but my LC 80 would attract advisories if taken elsewhere judging by checking the MOT histories of those on sale.

I wonder if it’s down to how hard they are ring pushed by the boss to complete as many MOTs in a day as possible?
My MOT station know that it won’t generate any work for them with my vehicle as I do the work myself.
Sometimes feel like they need to put something down to justify their job!

The most tested I used up untill recently for my car's and bike including the LC was fine and would only fail the vehicle for genuine issues, however last year I took the Audi for a mot, and the passed certificate.

Few months later I was online and checking something and found he had actually failed it for something stupid (wash wipe not sufficient spray) and then immediately passed it. Needless to say I am pissed that it has a failure against it just so that he can keep his numbers up.

He has now lost all my business.

Last edited:
I'd have thought that's a good reason to lose his ticket.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
About four or five years ago I took mine to a Toyota main dealer and the said they could
not pass it till they fitted a new wiper blade, i said there was nothing wrong with the blade
as it was only fitted 6 months before, any way had to fork out £10 but i asked for the original
one, as soon as i got it home i swapped it back, and it has been on the car since and never
failed a MOT since

It is arse covering by the mot geezer, the boss who is a mate, (Not the jobsworth tester) admitted it to me when I queried some of the advisories.
A chip in the windscreen, outside of testing area, went on the ticket, year after year.

The most bizarre advisory on the old list was orange dust emerging from a suspension bolt indicating possible corrosion !!! No excessive movement though !

Daughter in law phoned me near in tears because a local Toyota dealer invited her there on premise of some vague recall then told her they needed a million pounds to fix her air conditioning or the car was undriveable . They gave me the keys with no hesitation at all :icon-rolleyes:

Mrs recently got a cracked windscreen advisory because you can see where autoglass repaired it about 5 years ago - pillocks .

Black beast of Barry has been sorned i don't know how many years now because a pissed off mot testers was forced to work late on a friday and so failed a whole heap of things like worn bushes that i had replaced less than a year before .

Wishing now I'd simply driven it to another garage but at the time i thought it give me an excuse to get busy fixing all the stuff that didn't fail .

My tester says the government dept are pretty tough on him. They can see what time he logs on a case and if too short a time is taken he sometimes gets a phone call. The testers passes/fails are recorded and if they stray from the norm they are investigated. One time I took mine in and waited ages for him to start the test. On walking by some 10 minutes on he said "don't worry yours is already logged on".

I am also told VOSA can turn up any time without prior appointment to check whats going on covertly before introducing themselves and inspecting any vehicles still there that have been passed, and hold them there whilst doing so.
Maybe this is what all the unnecessary arse covering and useless advisories are for ?

That's true VOSA turned up years ago when my Merc was being MOT'd. Made the tester do the test all over again - so it passed twice! The tester told me he was glad he was working on a decent car when it happened!

Back