Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swags

stumog

Country Flag
england
Has anyone got one used one would like to here thoughts on them please.

Most of the Aussies seem to use them.

Alot of the tracks round by me are over grown so can't do with a rooftent on. So this maybe a option. Was thinking of putting onto of a stretcher under the foxwing.

Not quite a swag but I've used a hooped goretex bivi bag like this https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/c...oducts/dutch-gore-tex-camo-military-bivvy-bag with a decent mattress and sleeping bag. Worked really well.

On the Russia trip Toby used this tent cot https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kamp-Rite-SS-SMS-3442033-Oversize-Tent-Cot/dp/B000I641UQ and reckoned it was really good.

I reckon a decent swag would be a really nice way to sleep. They are not small though, so you need a good amount of space to fit one in the truck.

I quite fancy one. Have looked at a few online but not hit the button yet.
One trick to reduce the folded size is to replace the mattress they come with with one of those self inflating jobbies

My thoughts were I can still use my truck in the woods and then when I go away sling that either inside on on the roof.

If the family come not very often so far take the trailer. With them in the roof tent on that and me in the swag

Has anyone got one used one would like to here thoughts on them please.

Most of the Aussies seem to use them.

Alot of the tracks round by me are over grown so can't do with a rooftent on. So this maybe a option. Was thinking of putting onto of a stretcher under the foxwing.
Hi Stu. My mate uses a swag sometimes when we go camping. He says it's ok, but he finds it claustrophobic at times.
If you are using an awning anyway, I'd stick with an ex army gortex bivi and arctic bag. I've been using that set up for years and never had a problem.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've got one of these:
https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/burke-and-wills-ironbark-full-fly-king-single-canv/IRONBARKFFKSG

I run a Exped MegaMat in it, which is possibly a bit too thick in all honesty. I also tend to use mine just flat, not pulled up, as I like the closed in feeling that it gives. I've normally got a wool doona, a quilt and my pillow in there when it's packed up, and it's not too bulky then.

The hooped swags are good, they do have a bit more height etc, but they are slower to set up - mine is throw out and put air in the mat and it's done.

They're warm (I've had ice on the inside and outside of mine in the past, but been warm in my bedding) if you set them up right. The biggest problem is that they don't have any room to get changed in - you end up doing that outside...

I have the swag below, great for quick overnight stops. They are quite bulky and take up a fair bit of space, especially if you leave your bedding inside the swag. One hung to remember, if the weather is wet you have no where to shelter.
https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/burke-and-wills-redgum-king-single-deluxe-canvas-s/REDG-FTSGC

Thanks this is the type i was thinking about. I have a awning and hopefully getting sides made up so have that area to stay out of the rain.

I've got one of these:
https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/burke-and-wills-ironbark-full-fly-king-single-canv/IRONBARKFFKSG

I run a Exped MegaMat in it, which is possibly a bit too thick in all honesty. I also tend to use mine just flat, not pulled up, as I like the closed in feeling that it gives. I've normally got a wool doona, a quilt and my pillow in there when it's packed up, and it's not too bulky then.

The hooped swags are good, they do have a bit more height etc, but they are slower to set up - mine is throw out and put air in the mat and it's done.

They're warm (I've had ice on the inside and outside of mine in the past, but been warm in my bedding) if you set them up right. The biggest problem is that they don't have any room to get changed in - you end up doing that outside...

Thanks ed i think i wpuld find those a bit enclosed

Thanks ed i think i wpuld find those a bit enclosed

I used to think that, but I actually like the weight of the canvas on me, and the darkness. I started with a 3 pole swag and then changed to this one.

In part, they were originally designed to provide the warmth as well, so they were traditionally close fitting.

I used to think that, but I actually like the weight of the canvas on me, and the darkness. I started with a 3 pole swag and then changed to this one.

In part, they were originally designed to provide the warmth as well, so they were traditionally close fitting.
If you’re touching the canvas though it will leak so you need some kind of top cover

If you’re touching the canvas though it will leak so you need some kind of top cover

We run a tarp over the top - it's enough that the condensation doesn't form on the swags. Although, I'm as likely to use it as a spare bed at a mate's place as I am outside.

We run a tarp over the top - it's enough that the condensation doesn't form on the swags. Although, I'm as likely to use it as a spare bed at a mate's place as I am outside.
Yeh I think that’s what I would do with one or under the awning.

Back