Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Taking a Vehicle back to SA as a returning resident

MHAMBI

Country Flag
south_africa
Does anyone have any experience and advise on taking a Vehicle back to SA as a returning resident in order to avoid the import and customs duties?

Regards
Shayne

Howzit Shayne,

I've looked into myself some time ago and I found a few things. They say as long as you can prove that you've owned the vehicle for more than one year in the UK, that you are planning on settling back in SA (closed UK accounts etc) and a few others things, you should be able to do it duty free. Most car shipping organisations give you all the info you need.

Cheers,
Sam

Got the t shirt on this one:icon-wink: There has been a fair amount written on this topic by me and others on the forum, so a search will throw up most of what you need.

3 years down the road, my advice is to make sure that the vehicle you want to bring is a 'keeper' and worth having because it can be a long, painful road with registration on this side. And you're going to have to hang onto it for at least 2 years in SA (once registered).

Re Bakkies' comment, the only thing you have to do as far as proof goes is show you've owned the vehicle for a year. No bank nonsense or anything like that.

Back