Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Technology...

Thieves are always 1 jump ahead of vehicle security or at least on parity .....

I suspect much of the info used is from inside sources....

Similar in Agriculture where many tractors have £25K plus of guidance kit fitted... this is often targeted by thieves... but the knowledge they have as per location of NAV controllers and location of other modules that can vary by range even from the same manufacturer or even by machine type can only come from technicians within the industry.... and also the other side of the equation whereby when stolen ......that say Trimble know full well are stolen as each bit of kit has a unique serial number and also transmits it's location in the world is still useable because they wouldn't turn it off .
As background to this if I was upgrading a NAV controller for instance or GPS receiver the manufacturer would have to give me a pass code relevant to only that item and would also "see" that item and know where it was.... yet stolen items continue to be used in other areas or Countries .... the manufacturer isn't too bothered because that bit of kit will have been replaced by another new one...so they certainly are not loosing out....

You can surmise that again every stolen and unrecovered vehicle is replaced on the owners insurance so just means another unit sold .....

My friend had Merc stolen from a locked garage. They would have had to have keys as the steering would have had to have been turned on full lock to get it out. Also uphill so engine must have been started. My friend had both keys and car was locked. 18 months later the cops phoned him saying his car was in their yard. It had been stopped for speeding but driver had no insurance. Car never collected.

Back