Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Techstream on Windows 10

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Just a quick note here because I couldn't find Windows 10 instructions on here.

I have a Mini-VCI J2534 cable which worked happily with my Techstream 10 install on 64 bit Windows 7, after some faffing. Anyway, had to give that laptop back last month when I left the job I'd acquired it from.

Windows 10 has a few more challenges. You need at least Techstream 12 (you could hack about with the registry to get Techstream 10 to work, nit don't waste your time). And you need to get Windows 10 to load 64 bit drivers for the cable. Windows 10 really doesn't want to let you load old, unsigned drivers. You can do it, but it'll make it hard for you.

So a bit of googling and a bit of trial and error and these steps seem to work.

http://blog.obdii365.com/2017/12/03/toyota-techstream-12-30-017-download-and-install/
Follow the steps under : Techstream install Windows 10.

Step 2. You want to run this from the cmd prompt as the admin user. (type "cmd" in the Type here to search box in the bottom left of your screen)

Step 4. Copy all of the contents of the file in the link to notepad (dont copy and paste from the steps, there are extra spaces in there), and save as filename.reg

You then import that file using Regisitry Editor (type "registry" in the Type here to search box). Select the import option from the File menu (top of the screen).

Some instructions suggest running a firmware update tool to confirm the cable install has worked; but the tool doesn't work in Windows 10. Don't waste your time like I did!

Step 7. You can get Techstream 12 from here : https://mega.nz/#!9NBllR4R!v1hY8XHTcT-RBJfQypQ5zIDLypBDJ12LHy6zDqdNOFA I did virus check this, but .. at your own risk. To extract this file you need to copy it to the desktop then open it with a zip program, such as Winzip. You may need to download that from somewhere.

Check the instructions.txt in the unzipped files. Theres a few simple steps to complete the install.

All working fine now. Just got to figure out how to get my copy of the workshop manual to fire up now. It doesn't seem to like new versions of Internet Explorer.

Hi mate, coupel of yers ago someone help me set it up adn ever since Techstream run on my Win10 laptop
i had to do a Windown resent last week, and now it doesnt work anymore. i have spent hours trying to figure it out with no joy... I still have all the drivers fo the cable - i remember there was soemething to do with x32 vs. x64 bit? Even when i installed Techstream again, it askes for key. Insert teh ky and it just wont work.
I cant live without Techstream;). Please, please are you abel to help up a fellow toyota fan? cheers

Just a quick note here because I couldn't find Windows 10 instructions on here.

I have a Mini-VCI J2534 cable which worked happily with my Techstream 10 install on 64 bit Windows 7, after some faffing. Anyway, had to give that laptop back last month when I left the job I'd acquired it from.

Windows 10 has a few more challenges. You need at least Techstream 12 (you could hack about with the registry to get Techstream 10 to work, nit don't waste your time). And you need to get Windows 10 to load 64 bit drivers for the cable. Windows 10 really doesn't want to let you load old, unsigned drivers. You can do it, but it'll make it hard for you.

So a bit of googling and a bit of trial and error and these steps seem to work.

Toyota Techstream 12.30.017 download & install on Win 7 Win 10 | OBDII365.com Official Blog - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
Follow the steps under : Techstream install Windows 10.

Step 2. You want to run this from the cmd prompt as the admin user. (type "cmd" in the Type here to search box in the bottom left of your screen)

Step 4. Copy all of the contents of the file in the link to notepad (dont copy and paste from the steps, there are extra spaces in there), and save as filename.reg

You then import that file using Regisitry Editor (type "registry" in the Type here to search box). Select the import option from the File menu (top of the screen).

Some instructions suggest running a firmware update tool to confirm the cable install has worked; but the tool doesn't work in Windows 10. Don't waste your time like I did!

Step 7. You can get Techstream 12 from here : MEGA - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] I did virus check this, but .. at your own risk. To extract this file you need to copy it to the desktop then open it with a zip program, such as Winzip. You may need to download that from somewhere.

Check the instructions.txt in the unzipped files. Theres a few simple steps to complete the install.

All working fine now. Just got to figure out how to get my copy of the workshop manual to fire up now. It doesn't seem to like new versions of Internet Explorer.
diolch yn fawr Rob.I've been going mad with frustration trying to fix this install.The disc i've got with the cable has a link to a download & bitdefender thinks some of the files are trojans - not unusual with cracked programs.I'll give it a go later , o think i need some barley juice after the last hour.

Well it only took me 18months, but I finally got this working following the links in your post @Rob Cowell . Cheers :)

I just wish that the firmware update tool worked as that would be useful to confirm the port that the cable was connected to.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rob,

I know this is old. Please help me clarify what you mean your Step 2. Are you referring to the link in Step 7 or the link for the instruction itself? Thanks.

As with all good IT people I can't understand code I wrote yesterday let alone instructions I wrote 2.5 years ago :)

I think step 2 refers to running the msiexec command. There's no link in my step 2.
Step 4 was referring to the contents of the dropbox URL which unfortunately now seems to link to a deleted file. So we'll need to use the registry instructions on the page which sadly seem to have some copy protect code wrapped round them stopping copy paste from the browser.

I'm currently without a tame laptop I can mess around with stuff like this, but I do need to get something because I want Techstream back. Hopefully someone will have a working registry file they can post in the mean time. Otherwise I'll post something when I get it working. But it may not be for a little while.

Back