Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Terrain Roof Tents

davidnavin

I am considering spending £625 on a Terrain Tent instead of £1000+ on a hannibal, Ezi Awn or Howlingmoon. Does anyone have any comments on Terrain Tents. I depart London for Cape Town overland in April. Will be on the road for 6 months and need something that will last the journey. £625 for a roof top sounds like a great deal but not if it breaks half way through the trip... Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

David

Hi David, I am doing the same journey starting in July, after looking at lots of roof tents, I went for the T top Eeziawn because of the extra pull out section as this will be better for my wife & I can think of nothing worse then view of my backside departing from the tent first thing in the morning, The Terrain seems ok but my doubts were in the longevity of its build when put up & down in every day use, I also beleive when we are finished we should get a good return for the tent.

David do a quick search on the forum for terrain rooftop tent I rate mine very highly. Matt is in SA with one at the moment. Lighter than the H Moon one that it's copied from. Good In the wet bet better in the dry! Not a nasty cheap tent by any means. I got the big one. Don't use the shower room bit generally as I can't be bothered.

Chris

Attachments

• mobileimage.jpg
    mobileimage.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 501
Matt Wright completed the same trip just this morning. As Chris said he took a terrain tent with him so might be worth winging him a pm for when he finally gets his arse back onto a pc!

Jim.

Lol, thanks for the intro James :)

Yes, I can definitely recommend the Terrain tent after using it almost every day in Africa. I wouldn't necessarily say that it being in Africa is too different from any other place that's very hot, has driving rain and where you don't always have the luxury of allowing it to dry out every morning before you hit the road.

We met many other travellers with the other more expensive and famous tents and older second hand ones and to be honest, I can't see any major differences in the way they stood up to the elements. The major points to think about for me are:
- How long it takes to put up / take down (the older ones lose points here)
- How well it handles the wet and condensation inside
- Weight, I promise you the lighter the better. Weight was the single biggest grudge I had on our trip..
The mattress is also a big factor depending on what you weigh. I lost some weight in Africa ;P but still wore the mattress down in places but I can't comment on the other manufacturers mattresses.
I'll post pics soon so you can see it in action in pretty much all conditions..

I'd buy the Terrain again as it's cheaper and lighter and you'll get good re-sale for it anywhere else I think. There are a lot of people who can't afford £1200 for a tent when there are 100's of other things to buy.

** It's not necessarily about which tent to buy, more a case of "you need many many items of high cost, so write them all down and rank them according to their importance and buy accordingly". Well, that's what I did :)

Lots more news coming soon, we're laptop and homeless at present and trying ot find jobs - pretty standard! Will write more soon. Missed u dudes...

Well Matt,thats a good report.

Looks like me and Chris, like yourself bought a good one.

I know the few times I have used the Terain, it has always gone to plan when opening or closing.

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Matt, dragging this back up, do you have any more pictures or comments on the terrains? :)

Back