Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

That was new!

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well something new for me today, being bank holiday Friday and I was at work! I've never worked on a bank hol since I started working at 15. We open bank hols and so does the workshop. Not there monday though as I've got next week off to have some much needed family time.

I was in the office too Gary, you weren't on your own. :|

Nothing new for me, working till Wednesday as usual, never get bank holidays off in my job :(

Last edited:
I have to work all weekend and next week, but then I'm off to Cape York for a couple of weeks exploring.

Same here. Being a sole trader means I work most of the time. 7days a week normally. Everyone keeps saying work life balance. Can't seem to get there though.

I'll be working Monday. Simply because I've got a full week ahead and I have to do the job before the kids go back after the Easter break. When you're self employed (or equivalent) you're never fully away from work. For the work/life balance you have to set time aside and take it for yourself. Sure, there's times you have to work out of hours, over a weekend or on a holiday, but these can be your choice to do them. It's easy to think that X,Y,Z can't function without you being there. Truth is, they function the way they do because you're there. If you've more work than you can cope with then you're prices are too low. I found out a long time ago when I started on my own that being cheap isn't good. I got pulled about from pillar to post and once I put my rates up I got respect and the right sort of work. It's very tricky maintaining the balance, but the market is picking up very gradually and there's work out there to be had.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
New one for me too, for the opposite reason
For the last 12/15 years nearly every bank holiday, Xmas, and school holidays we were working,
this year, no school work, no working on Bank Holidays etc :D

We've been open 8 weeks now and there's not many days I haven't been in work, often end up in the office on Sundays (another new one for me tbh) sometimes a quick visit to sort something and sometimes can be hours. Been a few late nights too.
Things are settling down a bit more and to be expected with it being a new site.
Auto office is on for e mail but I suspect the phone will ring once or twice.

It will settle with time and when the workload becomes more predictable i'm sure will be able to work out a more fitting timetable .

When i was at the grindstone and on a very rare occasion someone mentioned bank holidays my reply would always be "but i don't work in a bank"

It will settle with time and when the workload becomes more predictable i'm sure will be able to work out a more fitting timetable .

When i was at the grindstone and on a very rare occasion someone mentioned bank holidays my reply would always be "but i don't work in a bank"
Finished work on the 7th & not back 'till the 19th but I've been clearing up on our property after a heavy snowfall 3 weeks ago knocked over dozens of trees.that & the tree surgery jobs that came up have meant I've had 4 days off in the last month.I'll post a thread when I get a moment....

Same here. Being a sole trader means I work most of the time. 7days a week normally. Everyone keeps saying work life balance. Can't seem to get there though.

Know exactly what you mean. Been there for a few years and then got a regular job thinking that it will help cool off a bit. But have ended up doing consulting for a service thing. Means I end up on call 4 days a week, the last 2 months have felt a lot more of living at work than working from home. Summer is meant to quieten down a bit, lets see how that pans out.

Back