Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The daddy of engine + electrical monitoring systems

Crispin said:
[quote="Jon Wildsmith":2jpyclk1]I'm in the middle of making one of those but if there's a commercial offering at a sensible price it would save me the bother :)

OT but what were you going to use for this?[/quote:2jpyclk1]

There are a few things that end up as extra gadgets dotted about the dash that I'd rather converged into a single device:

My IBS beeps at me when I'm using the Stirling DC-DC charger because the different charge voltage confuses it, and I'd like to be able to switch between DC-DC and regular split charge on the device rather than with a seperate toggle switch. So it will include a split charge control with 2 control outputs I can cycle between and it will know output 2 is allowed to have a different charge voltage!

My BOAB Trip meter is a bit awkward to mount and neither the BOAB or OEM trip meters can tell wether I'm on LPG or petrol making it much harder to estimate MPG. So it will include a trip meter with an extra 2 counters, one each for LPG & Petrol, only one of which will run depending on which fuel is in use.

I'd like alarms and or readouts on the coolant and auto box temperatures so it will have some instrumentation for that.

Sounds complicated but it's just a pic chip with a few of it's A2D converters hooked up. The hardest part has been deciding where to put it :lol: In the end I've decided on DIN sized to use the slot under the stereo and use a pair of 2x20 LCD's side by side with one displaying instrumentation and the other showing trip data.

But if there's a commercial device that already does most of that then I'd buy instead of build.

have a look at either Netduino or Arduino. Very handy, have many, well, 6, ADCs, UARTs for talking to a nice serial LCD. There is a nice graphics LCD which I am playing with, allows some nice detail on it. Simpler than PIC and uses either C# or or C respectively.

Sorry for HJ :ugeek:

sae70 said:
Lorin said:
sae70 said:
What about something from SPA

Unfortunately SPA don't offer a coolant alarm
Yes they do :) http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/digitalgauges/

SPA said:
The digital range of dual gauges work with temperatures from -55 to 150 degree C and when used with thermocouple options will monitor temperatures as high as 1100 degree C for EGT applications and inter-cooler applications.It is these capabilities that enable the gauges to accurately and reliably monitor critical information that has earned SPA an enviable reputation worldwide. The digital gauges also have the capability of monitoring temperature and pressure such as fuel, oil, boost, brake pressure and even salt water. In addition to those features the digital gauge has a peak recall of maximum pressure and user definable alarm parameters visible through a high brightness intensity LED that adds to the gauge’s appeal

A coolant gauge monitors the level of coolant in the cooling system and is therefore distinct from a temperature gauge that simply measures the temperature. The major advantage is should you ever encounter sudden coolant loss, the coolant gauge alarm would sound well before the temp gauge alarm. This could potentially save you from serious engine damage. Should the coolant loss be slow, it would also alert you to the coolant loss well before you'd notice a major increase in temperature. It is really just an additional safety guard. From my reading that is not what SPA are describing above and nor do they list one in their list of available gauges.

Crispin said:
have a look at either Netduino or Arduino. Very handy, have many, well, 6, ADCs, UARTs for talking to a nice serial LCD. There is a nice graphics LCD which I am playing with, allows some nice detail on it. Simpler than PIC and uses either C# or or C respectively.
Simpler than PIC? Are they an abacus? :lol:

I find it easier to use a calculator than an abacus ;)

Just spoke to Xeng. Unfortunately they are unable to supply simply because the manufacturer won't supply the stock - they make more money selling directly! However, Xeng do have one on their truck and verified that it is very well built and handy bit of kit - does what is says on the tin.

Still waiting to hear back from manufacturer/supplier in SA....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Coolant alarms are available on the Mazda Bongo forums, a guy in the UK makes them

Crispin said:
I find it easier to use a calculator than an abacus ;)
I wasn't very tempted by them till I saw the Touch Shield Slide :ugeek: Shall I send you the bill :mrgreen:

:drool:

I see they have come down in price...

I'm still waiting for the SA supplier to respond to my emails and see if they could offer any discount for a multiple purchase.

Using the website to price the EMS1 unit, wiring harness, and sensor kit gives a price of approx £375, which I assume is for everything needed.

How many people would still be interested at that, or a slightly reduced price?

I would not be interested at that price Lorin, that's pretty expensive for what it is, I'll keep on messing about making my own (but with a nice touch screen now :lol: )

Lorin said:
I'm still waiting for the SA supplier to respond to my emails and see if they could offer any discount for a multiple purchase.

Using the website to price the EMS1 unit, wiring harness, and sensor kit gives a price of approx £375, which I assume is for everything needed.

How many people would still be interested at that, or a slightly reduced price?
Interested, but I'll have to give it some :think:
Chas

I’m interested in getting the EMS2 only, then purchasing the sensors / adaptors in the UK.
It should work out cheaper that way.

Lorin did you buy the EMS-1 in the end? I agree that prevention is a good enough reason to buy gauges. The downside to the EMS-1 i saw was that it didn't do the ATF temperature and with an auto box on sand, I rate this higher than other measurement functions. Therefore I'm looking at Wholesale Automatic Transmissions.

I would be interested in what other members view as most important things to measure to keep the truck working. Mine are:
ATF
EGT
? [suggestions welcome]
?

JulianV reckons the ATF sender unit can be used as an input to the EMS-1 [which doesn't measure ATF]. However, besides the price and shipping for the EMS-1 I'm wondering if the amount of cuts etc you need to do to attach the sender units actually will just result in future failure points e.g. cutting into hoses for flow rates.

That said EMS-1 gets decent feedback on the SA landcruiser club forum. I just don't want to create new failure points.

Therefore I'm probably settling for an ATF gauge and an EGT gauge. Can anybody recommend a good EGT gauge?

SimonD said:
Lorin did you buy the EMS-1 in the end? I agree that prevention is a good enough reason to buy gauges. The downside to the EMS-1 i saw was that it didn't do the ATF temperature and with an auto box on sand, I rate this higher than other measurement functions.

I gave up trying in the end. I sent several emails asking for confirmation of a price and shipping etc and whether they would offer a disount for a group buy from the LC club. Unfortunately replies were not forthcoming and the only one I did get failed to clearly answer the questions I asked so I figured they they weren't fussed on the business. Shame really although it was pretty expensive.

I dont have an auto so ATF is not an issue for me. What I am most interested in monitoring is EGTs and having some sort of coolant alarm that would alert me to an overheating problem quickly and accurately - for example if a hose burst and I lost coolant while driving.

I am still looking at the options. One idea is to use/adapt a cheap water level sensor such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT and fit a separate temp sensor/alarm and EGT gauge. I have yet to find a cheap temp sensor/alarm though.

Another option though bit more pricey is something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT and a separate EGT gauge.

I haven't properly looked into EGT gauges yet. Though if possible I would want one that allowed you to set an audible alarm for a specific temp.

Lorin said:
Another option though bit more pricey is something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT and a separate EGT gauge.

Would that not be unresponsive? Dependant on where you fasten it, could it not "suffer" a bit of cooling from the air around it as well as some sink from the metal around it. If you lucky enough to have a bolt onto the block with a flush fit, should be fine but if there is any sort of stand-off? Localised overheating before this thing thinks there is a problem?

Just thinking out loud... :whistle:

Also, those parts could probably be picked up from Maplin for < £20 including display and box. :whistle: :whistle:

Crispin said:
Would that not be unresponsive? Also, those parts could probably be picked up from Maplin for < £20 including display and box.

Yeh reckon you could be right on both counts. I hadn't thought of seeing what Maplin has to offer. Might well not be too difficult to put something together myself - I'll have a look.

Crispin said:
Would that not be unresponsive? Dependant on where you fasten it, could it not "suffer" a bit of cooling from the air around it as well as some sink from the metal around it.
I've lost track of what the alternative was but a sensor bolted to the block or head should be pretty responsive compared to a sensor immersed in coolant? Not that I've ever tried one but it is the block temperature variation you really want to know about, checking coolant temperature is just a proxy. Can't see air cooling having much effect myself vs the heat of the metal the sensor is bolted to :)

I agree that the coolant one but was thinking about that probe that they had - it's a terminal (ok, it's copper) but there is so much metal not touching the block which could be a nice heat sink.
Not saying it's pointless, it has to be mounted well though otherwise it could be a very false sense of security.

Back