Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

i also remember the horror stories from pro Europeans if we didn't join the euro all them years ago..
when the opportunity arose to vote on membership of the EU, I didn't have to listen to any of the propaganda from either side. I always knew I would be voting to leave.

this country used to be one of the most forward thinking innovative countries in the world. now its just a complete sham.
some of the greatest brand names in the world have virtually been given away. we destroyed our own car industry but now have foreign car manufactures dictating our politics.
we were pioneers of commercial nuclear power, we now find ourselves begging china and japan to build power stations for us.
we invented the railways, now the firms that run them couldn't run a bath.
we have over a thousand years of coal, yep, that dirty word, we don't need it any more right? we just don't need british coal, we import it from the USA..
we invented the jet engine and vertical take off jet. now were buying F35s off the yanks.
we invented the computer, micro chip and WWW. yet most people couldn't live without Microsoft, google, facebook, paypal and ebay.

we don't even make our own chocolate or HP sauce anymore.
it wont be long before we are incapable of even making our own steel.
Belgium makes is own steel FFS!
the list goes on and on....
when the odd glimmer of innovation comes up for air out of the shit pit, it will be snatched away by the vultures. no one will notice, no one will care. the government will shrug its shoulders. ARM a recent example. graphene will be next..

we have a social system that allows generation after generation to leach off the state backed by a liberal army of do gooders. whilst a proportion of the elderly that have worked there fingers to the bone can only afford to heat one room come winter.
a society increasingly void of personal responsibility, increasingly detached from the natural environment.
with the population swelling, villages turning into towns, countryside slowly being eaten away while farmers increasingly turn towards zero grazing and more and more intense farming methods. ripping out hedges to make larger fields for even larger machinery.
historic buildings are falling apart, the roads are crumbling as is the NHS, cancer research is left to charities and receives no government funding yet it spends over £13 billion a year in foreign aid.

I could go on and on but I think ive bored/depressed you enough!
my "facts" will be picked at im sure and this has nothing to do with the EU will say others.
Britain needs resetting.
it doesn't needs regurgitated American and European visions it can create its own.
it needs to find its confidence again and start investing in itself and its people and its future.

Last edited:
i also remember the horror stories from pro Europeans if we didn't join the euro all them years ago..
when the opportunity arose to vote on membership of the EU, I didn't have to listen to any of the propaganda from either side. I always knew I would be voting to leave.

this country used to be one of the most forward thinking innovative countries in the world. now its just a complete sham.
some of the greatest brand names in the world have virtually been given away. we destroyed our own car industry but now have foreign car manufactures dictating our politics.
we were pioneers of commercial nuclear power, we now find ourselves begging china and japan to build power stations for us.
we invented the railways, now the firms that run them couldn't run a bath.
we have over a thousand years of coal, yep, that dirty word, we don't need it any more right? we just don't need british coal, we import it from the USA..
we invented the jet engine and vertical take off jet. now were buying F35s off the yanks.
we invented the computer, micro chip and WWW. yet most people couldn't live without Microsoft, google, facebook, paypal and ebay.

we don't even make our own chocolate or HP sauce anymore.
it wont be long before we are incapable of even making our own steel.
Belgium makes is own steel FFS!
the list goes on and on....
when the odd glimmer of innovation comes up for air out of the shit pit, it will be snatched away by the vultures. no one will notice, no one will care. the government will shrug its shoulders. ARM a recent example. graphene will be next..

we have a social system that allows generation after generation to leach off the state backed by a liberal army of do gooders. whilst a proportion of the elderly that have worked there fingers to the bone can only afford to heat one room come winter.
a society increasingly void of personal responsibility, increasingly detached from the natural environment.
with the population swelling, villages turning into towns, countryside slowly being eaten away while farmers increasingly turn towards zero grazing and more and more intense farming methods. ripping out hedges to make larger fields for even larger machinery.
historic buildings are falling apart, the roads are crumbling as is the NHS, cancer research is left to charities and receives no government funding yet it spends over £13 billion a year in foreign aid.

I could go on and on but I think ive bored/depressed you enough!
my "facts" will be picked at im sure and this has nothing to do with the EU will say others.
Britain needs resetting.
it doesn't needs regurgitated American and European visions it can create its own.
it needs to find its confidence again and start investing in itself and its people and its future.

"Britain needs resetting."

Wholeheartedly agree that Britain needs resetting......the domestic policies of governments, of both wings, for the last couple of generations, the far reaching effects of globalisation - a genie that will certainly never go back into its bottle and the ever rising tide of the digital age had led us to where we are now.

Leaving the EU isn't going to help any this, if anything, it will make things far far worse.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We have the lowest productivity per person in Europe. I don't think being a member of the EU is the cause. Other member states are all doing better.

That cannot and will not change while we can only vote for employees of an unaccountable regime .

Not sure why it's the EU's fault Moggy? The UK is leaving the EU rather than the reverse - and in a no deal, becoming a "third country". As a non-EU country, Aussies technically need an IDP for some European countries e.g. France https://www.aaa.asn.au/international-motoring/driving-overseas/ . Many EU countries don't need an IDP around the world and that is what the UK has benefitted from. The UK will just be...the UK [until Scotland leaves] so IDP suggestions from the UK government are hardly surprising. Of course, this is only applies to "no deal", which no-one in their right mind would want.

No deal is a chaotic prelude to a deal - just the same as walking away from a car you want from a seller who desperately wants to sell but wont negotiate on price .

Well years ago they closed the pubs early so productivity was not compromised. Now that Brits can drink all night perhaps that explains their poor performance. Other EU citizens behave themselves better on the whole.

I think we managed shit productivity and manufacturing long before that Frank, just look at the crap our car industry produced when the unionised labour force weren't on strike......

Not sure why it's the EU's fault Moggy? The UK is leaving the EU rather than the reverse - and in a no deal, becoming a "third country". As a non-EU country, Aussies technically need an IDP for some European countries e.g. France https://www.aaa.asn.au/international-motoring/driving-overseas/ . Many EU countries don't need an IDP around the world and that is what the UK has benefitted from. The UK will just be...the UK [until Scotland leaves] so IDP suggestions from the UK government are hardly surprising. Of course, this is only applies to "no deal", which no-one in their right mind would want.
Because there’s no need for it. A photo card licence is more than adequate. It works in every country I’ve ever driven in, which has nothing to do with the EU, and there is no reason Europe should be any different, they’re just being dicks about it, as they are with most of the negotiations.
If you look on line the list of countries allegedly requiring an idp at this time is huge (including some EU ones) so I carry one, but I have never been asked for it, even when pulled by corrupt rozzers looking for a reason to extract a ‘fine’. The reality is, it isn’t needed.

Last edited:
426903E0-5DE6-4EB6-8C0A-AC15440D0C00.jpeg

I agree there's no need for it unless the current Government drives us off the cliff with a no deal. Still, I don't get why you are blaming Europe :think:

The UK government introduced this legislation to REQUIRE IDPs in March last year [see point 23] [read it all here - https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201719/ldselect/ldseclega/272/27204.htm ] :

It's the current Government you need to question - unlike Europe which has posted every negotiation on the Europa website regarding the deal, the current Government has been secretive at best.

Draft Motor Vehicles (International Circulation) (Amendment) (EU Exit) Order 2019 and International Driving Permits (Fees) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (SI 2019/1)
20.The draft Motor Vehicles (International Circulation) (Amendment) (EU Exit) Order 2019 (“the Order”), laid by the Department for Transport (DfT) with an Explanatory Memorandum (EM), provides for the UK to issue IDPs under the 1968 Convention to persons resident in the UK for use outside the UK.1

21.The International Driving Permits (Fees) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (SI 2019/1) (“the Regulations”), also laid by DfT with an EM, enable the Secretary of State to charge UK driving licence holders for the issue of IDPs.

22.Both EMs lack sufficient information to gain a clear understanding about the instruments’ policy objectives. We therefore requested additional supplementary material from DfT.

23.The UK originally signed the 1968 Convention in November 1968, but it was not ratified. However, as part of the Government’s preparations for leaving the EU, the UK ratified the 1968 Convention on 28 March 2018, and it comes into force on 28 March 2019.

24.Once the Government have ratified the 1968 Convention and issued IDPs in the 1968 Convention format, holders of UK driving licenceswill have a minimum level of recognition of their licences when driving in any Member State of the EU, except Cyprus, Ireland, Malta and Spain. For travel within the latter four countries, UK driving licence holders will be required to hold an IDP in the format set out in the 1949 Convention (to which the UK is already party). IDPs issued in the 1949 Convention format are valid for 12 months and will continue to apply in countries where that Convention remains in force. 1968 Convention format IDPs are valid for three years (or for a shorter period if the validity of the relevant driving licence ends at an earlier date).

I agree there's no need for it unless the current Government drives us off the cliff with a no deal. Still, I don't get why you are blaming Europe :think:

The UK government introduced this legislation to REQUIRE IDPs in March last year [see point 23] [read it all here - https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201719/ldselect/ldseclega/272/27204.htm ] :

It's the current Government you need to question - unlike Europe which has posted every negotiation on the Europa website regarding the deal, the current Government has been secretive at best.

Draft Motor Vehicles (International Circulation) (Amendment) (EU Exit) Order 2019 and International Driving Permits (Fees) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (SI 2019/1)
20.The draft Motor Vehicles (International Circulation) (Amendment) (EU Exit) Order 2019 (“the Order”), laid by the Department for Transport (DfT) with an Explanatory Memorandum (EM), provides for the UK to issue IDPs under the 1968 Convention to persons resident in the UK for use outside the UK.1

21.The International Driving Permits (Fees) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (SI 2019/1) (“the Regulations”), also laid by DfT with an EM, enable the Secretary of State to charge UK driving licence holders for the issue of IDPs.

22.Both EMs lack sufficient information to gain a clear understanding about the instruments’ policy objectives. We therefore requested additional supplementary material from DfT.

23.The UK originally signed the 1968 Convention in November 1968, but it was not ratified. However, as part of the Government’s preparations for leaving the EU, the UK ratified the 1968 Convention on 28 March 2018, and it comes into force on 28 March 2019.

24.Once the Government have ratified the 1968 Convention and issued IDPs in the 1968 Convention format, holders of UK driving licenceswill have a minimum level of recognition of their licences when driving in any Member State of the EU, except Cyprus, Ireland, Malta and Spain. For travel within the latter four countries, UK driving licence holders will be required to hold an IDP in the format set out in the 1949 Convention (to which the UK is already party). IDPs issued in the 1949 Convention format are valid for 12 months and will continue to apply in countries where that Convention remains in force. 1968 Convention format IDPs are valid for three years (or for a shorter period if the validity of the relevant driving licence ends at an earlier date).
All that is that the government ratified the legislation that the EU passed years before, having not ratified it at the time, so that they could produce the appropriate documentation (which only became available from 1st feb this year). The requirement is from the EU, that’s why it’s their fault, they choose whether or not to accept U.K. driving licenses. What other countries require in terms of licensing and motoring legislation has absolutely nothing to do with the U.K. government and what they do or don’t want. As it is they can’t even decide unity through the EU of which idp to use so I will have to get 2.

Back