Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The price of insurance

mettisse

Supporter
im sure this has been posted lots of times, but I feel I’ve been enlightened, about last Ocober ‘19 we had a “ quote” unsolicited from SAGA for house insurance, I’ve been with the NFU for years and happily so. However SAGA offered the same insurance in some areas more, but it meant I saved about £400 per year, and the same renewal price for 3 years. Well, it’d be rude to refuse eh? But it got me wondering, I’ve never shopped around before so when the insurance renewal came for my 300tdi mongrel Froader came and it was nearly £100 more than last year I was motivated. ( just under £500) fully com etc
So I took the renewal to the APlan shop in Sevenoaks and whaddayouknow? £237!!! So, see if you can guess what my next plan is? Yep, the Bruiser, the duchess’ Merc estate are up for grabs, what I mug I’ve been for not trying elsewhere before. I’m not ashamed or feel stupid because I’m old fashioned and I thought loyalty went something, well apparently in some cases it doesn’t. The latest being the insurance guy said might be a plan to put them all on a “fleet” type plan, here we go! Just goes to show I’ve gotta try harder ( s funny the teachers used to say that to me 60 years ago, wish I had)
Best regards to all, Bill Westley

Loyalty counts for nothing these days, as often new customers get much better deals and offers than existing ones.

It always pays to shop around for insurance. If you do want to stay with the same company, at least you'll have another quote to use as bargaining - so they either match or get close.

Loyalty counts for nothing these days, as often new customers get much better deals and offers than existing ones.

It always pays to shop around for insurance. If you do want to stay with the same company, at least you'll have another quote to use as bargaining - so they either match or get close.

Yes I thought it would be a bargaining point but then thought, the new firm put the effort in, why should the old firm still get the business? All they’ve done is try to mug you off, why give them the benefit? They’ve already said “we ain’t mates, this is business “ so if that’s the rules, if they want my business, try harder first time out the box, otherwise the better deal offer gets it.
To be honest I’m not that “hard” but you get the gist.

im sure this has been posted lots of times, but I feel I’ve been enlightened, about last Ocober ‘19 we had a “ quote” unsolicited from SAGA for house insurance, I’ve been with the NFU for years and happily so. However SAGA offered the same insurance in some areas more, but it meant I saved about £400 per year, and the same renewal price for 3 years. Well, it’d be rude to refuse eh? But it got me wondering, I’ve never shopped around before so when the insurance renewal came for my 300tdi mongrel Froader came and it was nearly £100 more than last year I was motivated. ( just under £500) fully com etc
So I took the renewal to the APlan shop in Sevenoaks and whaddayouknow? £237!!! So, see if you can guess what my next plan is? Yep, the Bruiser, the duchess’ Merc estate are up for grabs, what I mug I’ve been for not trying elsewhere before. I’m not ashamed or feel stupid because I’m old fashioned and I thought loyalty went something, well apparently in some cases it doesn’t. The latest being the insurance guy said might be a plan to put them all on a “fleet” type plan, here we go! Just goes to show I’ve gotta try harder ( s funny the teachers used to say that to me 60 years ago, wish I had)
Best regards to all, Bill Westley
I've been with SAGA for 3 years now with my LC, they have beaten all other quotes, this is new territory for me as I never stay with the same insurance company, like you say, they always hike the price for 'loyalty' .

SAGA is only £159.

Also, I Never have 'auto renewal' as that's a BIG con,

Last edited by a moderator:
M+S send my inflated renewal every year and I phone them complaining it's too much and over the last 6 years they'he instantly reduced by a huge amount. In effect it's hardly gone up at all. There's a limit on EU breakdown recovery of £2500 but no restriction as to the value of the car, you get £2500 max whatever, nor age of the car.

Back