Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The World’s Biggest and Most Powerful Diesel Engine

It's so big they don't need an air filter as dust means nothing to it. In fact they shovel the days rubbish into the inlet manifold to get rid of it. lol.

Maybe............maybe not.
18na87e44i4sjjpg.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is that one that belongs to the Arab that has the globe of the world that opens up, and the American pickup on 5x scale or such like.

It's so big they don't need an air filter as dust means nothing to it.
Unfortunately Frank You dont seem to know much about these engines.......
The biggest Sulzez (later Wärsilä) I worked on was a RTA76 with 7 cylinders.
I have however worked on B&W with more than 1000mm bore & 3120mm stroke.
I do allow myself to have an opinion on these.

AFAIK the words biggest one was an inline 16 cylinder. It was eventually taken off the delivery line as the long crackshaft became an issue & they has problems with it flexing too much... This dates back to the early 2000 & the engine was producing something like 126`000HP

Then again whoever wrote the article in the link above clearly has never been in the marine industry nor worked on ship yards.....o_O

Kind Regards from someone who started kicking around shipyards from the age of 4 & worked his way up to new building superintendent:innocent:& then some

Unfortunately Frank You dont seem to know much about these engines.......
The biggest Sulzez (later Wärsilä) I worked on was a RTA76 with 7 cylinders.
I have however worked on B&W with more than 1000mm bore & 3120mm stroke.
I do allow myself to have an opinion on these.
AFAIK the words biggest one was an inline 16 cylinder. It was eventually taken off the delivery line as the long crackshaft became an issue & they has problems with it flexing too much... This dates back to the early 2000 & the engine was producing something like 126`000HP
Then again whoever wrote the article in the link above clearly has never been in the marine industry nor worked on ship yards.....o_O
Kind Regards from someone who started kicking around shipyards from the age of 4 & worked his way up to new building superintendent:innocent:& then some

Haven't you been a bit harsh on Frank?

I took him to be joking with his comment, and not pretending to be an oeficionado on these engines...

I mean, who would seriously suggest shoveling garbage into an engine as a means of waste disposal...?

It's so big they don't need an air filter as dust means nothing to it..

Clive; this comment (see inserted quote) is what got my feathers up. I & my colleagues of the time spent serouise time & money while keeping the engineroom (s) as clean as possible. We took huge pride in it, spent a fortune on air filters both on the engine room inlet & the engines themselves.....
So to state that these engines due to their shear size "don`t need air filters" is a comment that stumbles in its own.
Especially in eyes of someone who has worked extensively operating & maintaining them.
So forgive me if Franks joke absolutely did not hit home.

The remark on the garbage.... well........ Who would seriously suggest THAT?...:rolleyes:
Again, especially as I know how big a deal waste disposal has become within the marine industry.

So YES I will apologize... I apologize for taking time & shed some professional insight into the topic
Mea Culpa;)

Edit; Typo

Last edited:
Clive; this comment (see inserted quote) is what got my feathers up. I & my colleagues of the time spent serouise time & money of keeping the engineroom (s) as clean as possible. We took huge pride in it, spent a fortune on air filters both on the engine room inlet & the engines themselves.....
So to state that these engines due to their shear size "don`t need air filters" is a comment that stumbles in its own.
Especially in eyes of someone who has worked extensively operating & maintaining them.
So forgive me it Franks joke absolutely did not hit home.

The remark on the garbage.... well........ Who would seriously suggest THAT?...:rolleyes:
Again, especially as I know how big a deal waste disposal has become within the marine industry.

So YES I will apologize... I apologize for taking time & shed some professional insight into the topic
Mea Culpa;)

We're all friends together on this forum Peter, I'm sure no harm done.
I take your point as above.
It is good to get an informed view on some of these things that we all find interesting...

Thanks.

As said Clive, sometimes when looking such an astranged obstacle (big enigine) from afar one could easily misinterprit the effort it takes to keep them running for years without too much hazzle.
FI; I pulled injectors every 1500 running hours when running on heavy fuel oil (heated to >120degC) Some engines had 3 injectors pr cylinder. It takes abt a full day to do 1 injector properly....
We used to do Nigeria-US Gulf, thast abt 18 days sailing. Cleaning the scavenging air belt & underneight the pistons reveald abt 1 cubic meter with sludge.
I am just trying to say; Operating & maintaning these engines does take some effort & manpower :)
& it still remains one of the most efficient options within transportation when considering the global (green) footprint.

Yes, we incinerated the garbage & yes the ash was taken ashore for proper disposal. Its the law after all :)

As said Clive, sometimes when looking such an astranged obstacle (big enigine) from afar one could easily misinterprit the effort it takes to keep them running for years without too much hazzle.
FI; I pulled injectors every 1500 running hours when running on heavy fuel oil (heated to >120degC) Some engines had 3 injectors pr cylinder. It takes abt a full day to do 1 injector properly....
We used to do Nigeria-US Gulf, thast abt 18 days sailing. Cleaning the scavenging air belt & underneight the pistons reveald abt 1 cubic meter with sludge.
I am just trying to say; Operating & maintaning these engines does take some effort & manpower :)
& it still remains one of the most efficient options within transportation when considering the global (green) footprint.

Yes, we incinerated the garbage & yes the ash was taken ashore for proper disposal. Its the law after all :)

As with most things Peter, when you're dealing with something big, everything associated with it is big, the good and the bad.

Bigger performance
Bigger Costs
Bigger Bills.

Same would apply to our Cruisers if or when compared to a Yaris.....

Strangely, a bit on this theme, my father had a 1947 Morris Commercial Parcels Van (PV). It had a 2 lt 4 cylinder petrol engine, very old technology but it ran for 600 k miles before the tin-worm won the battle.

That engine had never had an air filter by design. There was a cowl over the carburetor air intake, but no facility for an air filter of any sort.

My old man used to say air filters were for girly engines, but since I've had the 80 and seen what gets blocked from entering the engine in my filter system, I'm inclined to think that the designer of his old engine overlooked an important component.

Still 600k miles from a petrol engine of such low technical specs can't be bad I suppose :lol:

The engine was mounted inboard, and the driver sat with the engine immediately to his left. I can still hear the crackle of the air intake when you throttled it, these memories never die. I learned to drive in that van, starting at 8 yrs old in a field, when I couldn't even reach the pedals :lol:

It looked just like this one.

Morris-Commercial%20PV%20type%20van%201947%20front2.jpg

The pre war bikes I rode never had an air filter. They had Amal carbs with funnel shaped air intakes screwed onto them. Must have been a lot of dust on pre war roads.

Back