Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The worlds fastest man on wheels

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Today I went to a British Airways awards ceremony where my cousin (a BA senior engineer) won this years award for system improvements which have saved BA about 1/2 million a year in their energy costs. He was given a framed certificate and a pair of tickets to anywhere in the world, flying club class :mrgreen: , if we had to buy that it would cost in the region of £10000.
While I was there I met this chap, who you may recognise as Wing Commander Andy Green, the fastest man on four wheels :auto-layrubber:

Croatia2010003.jpg

He gave a talk about his new project which is to drive this 'car' http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7685049.stm at over 1000 mph :shock: the car will accelerate from 0-1,000 mph (1,600 km/h) in 42 seconds :o :o

Croatia2010005.jpg

It's still in it's development stage but it will have three engines, a jet engine to get it to about 350 mph then a rocket engine which pushes it to over 1000 and a Formula 1 engine by Cosworth just to drive the rocket fuel pump that forces hydrogen peroxide into the rocket at 40 ltrs a second, about 76 bar, it was all mind boggling stuff

Wonder if its any good in the snow?

Suposse it would be better in reverse :happy-bouncyredfire:

Always in awe at these machines.... Mind blowing stuff!

Should have asked him the most posted question on this forum...........which tyres did he prefer :lol:

Trevor said:
Should have asked him the most posted question on this forum...........which tyres did he prefer :lol:
No tyres, the wheels are solid titanium!

Chas, I take you warned him of the dangers of wheelbearings failing and losing a wheel? :mrgreen: Could be exciting at 1,000mph! :o

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
Could be exciting at 1,000mph! :o
Exiting :o, I'm sure it would be fatal, if I had thought of it at the time I would have warned him :lol: the man must be certifiable

If you are not yet following the Bloodhound project, have a look here:
http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

It is an engineering marvel. I have been to several of the talks by Andy Green and Richard Nobel - both interesting speakers.
The car will run in the Northern Cape in 2012.... I will be there!!!

My favourite is: "From a standing start, BLOODHOUND will be stationary 10 miles away in 100 seconds. That’s what I call performance." - Andy Green

It is hard to grasp the numbers involved with projects like this - one I comprend though is it it running on 35's

Ian

You could lend him your winch to get him moving Ian :lol:

Back