Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing belt intervals 100

t1pper

Country Flag
uk
Hi,
Just a quick one what is the interval for a timing belt change on a 100 4.2HD?
Mileage and or time please?
Just cant seem to find the info to hand currently
Thanks

150 k km / 100 k miles
5 years
Always do the tensioner and idler
Idlers have "killed" more than broken belts have

Thanks for that I am 94K miles and 5 years next month all genuine Toyota parts last time so probably about due now
At 250k miles total, did not do the water pump last time so think it should get swapped out this time?

Decided it's probably a good idea to do mine the belt has only been on for 18000km but it's now over 4 years old and the car spends long periods parked up.. Better safe than sorry.

Ditto - on the list for January. Had a quote for £240 for full kit and labour from a local garage with 100 Series pedigree.

Have you ever enquired how much Toyota Charge Jacob?....... Be interesting to know the difference

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for that I am 94K miles and 5 years next month all genuine Toyota parts last time so probably about due now
At 250k miles total, did not do the water pump last time so think it should get swapped out this time?
I would change the water pump at that mileage. Would be a shame to have to go in there again anytime soon.

Hi Chapel,

My cruiser has the 12v engine, is it best to do the water pump at the same time on these?

Decided it's probably a good idea to do mine the belt has only been on for 18000km but it's now over 4 years old and the car spends long periods parked up.. Better safe than sorry.
At 18 k km ? That seems to be a bit ott, even at 4 years. The belt will be like new. But it won't harm to change it. If you know that the idler and tensioner were also changed last time, I would wait a year or two.
The idea behind changing the water pump at the same time, is that the pump often starts leaking before 300 k km, so when you open up to do the timing belt every 150 k, it makes sense to change the relatively cheap pump at the same time. But there will not be any noticeable wear on the pump bearing, if it was new 18 k km ago.

Hi uHu,

I'm sure you're right re the belt but as you say it won't do any harm especially as the truck sits for 6-8 months at a time. I'll post a pic of the one that comes off.

I've had a rummage through the old receipts and found the one for the timing belt. Theres no mention of tensioner or pulley so I'll go ahead and do those. Also no mention of the water pump but I might hold off on that for now and see how it goes.. Labour here in Zim is pretty cheap so no big deal if I end up doing it sooner rather than later..

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Changed the belt on my 1HD FT today in the 80 series .
How come the FTE is 150 K interval and the FT is 100K ? Is it a case that they decided the same belt and tensioner were good for an extra 50K ?
This is the second change in my ownership and the third in total .
Always use genuine parts and change tensioner, and pulley at the same time . I would also say it's worth changing the rubber timing cover seal if you use it off road in water a lot .... mine at 180K miles and 25 years was starting to loose it's ability to seal , I could have just used some instant gasket on the sealing edge to be sure but I hate the stuff , it's not professional ;-)
That said the tensioner and pulley were in as new condition as was the belt so I can see why Toyota extended the interval for another 50K .

Hi Chapel,

My cruiser has the 12v engine, is it best to do the water pump at the same time on these?
depends on the mileage. a genuine water pump is good for what? 200000-300000 miles. (theres always the exception), iirc mine let go at about 250000 miles.

if i was doing a cambelt change and my water pump had 250000 miles on it i would replace it, as half the work is done with the belt change.

i dont like doing things twice unnecessarily..

Timing belt, tensioner and pulley all replaced.

As suspected all looked like brand new.

But at least I now have the piece of mind that all should be good for another 5 years.

I can't believe how easy a job it is to do on a 1HDT, all done and the front and rear brakes checked in under an hour for $40, shame I got stung on the parts $302 US for the belt, pulley and tensioner from Mr Toyota in Zimbabwe..

Next time I'll get the parts in the UK.

Reading these posts got me thinking and when I checked, the belt on my 100 has only done 44k but I hadn’t realised it’s coming up to 6 years old! so another job at the next service in a couple of months!
I put all new belts on when I fitted the new cam belt but the multi v only lasted just over 4years and around 32k!
It was by pure chance I found it was on its way out when I spotted a couple of loose strands on one edge while I was mooching round in the engine bay then when I checked further I found the whole belt was badly cracked!
I wouldn’t mind if it was a cheapie belt but they were all from Mr T, so a word of warning guys, check them out!
I can’t think of anything more frustrating than being stuck somewhere for the sake of a part that costs less than £20!!

32 k miles on the W-belt is good, even for a OEM part. It transfers a lot of power to the AC, and to the power heater if you have one. One thing to look out for is the bearing of the tensioner, it wears out and then the tensioning wheel runs askew. Easy to change with a good quality standard sealed ball bearing.

That’s a good point about the tensioner uHu! I did check it when I fitted the new belt and it was ok but well worth releasing the tension and checking properly on a regular basis!
Given Toyota went for twin belts for the alternator a wider multi v might not have been a bad idea - belt and braces even! sorry couldn’t resist that!

Back