Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

timing belt

silvercruiser

Hello im not going to bore you with the ususal Q's.
I Know roughly how to change the timing belt and have ordered the bits from milners ive got to do this because my water pump is leaking.

ive looked through the max ellery and have come to the conclusion i might aswell throw it in the bin, but my question is do i need to change the timing pulley? as they havnt got them in milners.

Joe

And sorry one more Question does the fan come off without the need for any special tools?
thanks Again

Joe.

The pulley should be good for a long time. I changed mine at 240k miles and it was fine.
I changed it anyway because I bought a kit and it had the pulley included.
The old one would have perfectly serviceable if I refitted it.
Can't help on the fan I am afraid, I never took mine off to change the T-belt. Do you have to remove it for the waterpump?

Fan comes off without special tools, yes you will in all likelihood get away without changing the tensioner. The only special tools you will need are a G clamp to hold back the tensioner and a small allen key or something the same size to put in the hole in the tensioner once you have clamped it up - stops it springing back till you have the timing belt back on again and then you can remove the allen key. The job is a piece of cake and changing the belt should take only 1/2 hour or so. Add another 1/2 hour to 1 hour to change the water pump.

Thanks for the replies

Ive ordered a new belt, tensioner, and idler pully but the C#*P Ellery reckons you have to change the top pulley as well thats why i was asking and im glad the fan doesnt require special tools.

I might take the rad out so i have loads of room as i dont want to mark my new rad (well 8 months old now) i will report back how the water pump etc goes when i do it. I might even take some pics :D

Joe

Yep that's rubbish about the top pulley unless it is damaged or worn which is very unlikely.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Make sure you align the timing marks before you take the old belt off.

The 1KZ-TE is an 'Interference' engine so you can't turn the crank or camshaft far on their own without a valve hitting a piston (so I'm told - I haven't actually tried to, though I have changed the belt :lol: ).

Bob.

To add to Bob's advice, turn the crank pulley to line up the marks before removing the belt, then when you remove the belt you are at a good reference point which makes putting it back together a doddle (apart from a little spring in the pulleys which needs to be taken up).

Not sure on the 90 series but on the 3rd gen Hilux Surf with the same engine, undoing the bracket for (I think it was but then it was about 5 years ago last one I looked at) the Aircon compressor makes getting the timing belt cover off a lot easier - may be in a different place on the 90 series and not be in the way. Apart from that the G Clamp for compresing the tensioner needs to be a strong one as that little baby sure has some spring in it.

Hello and thanks again Andy ive already had the cover off to see if the water pump was leaking and i done this without taking the aircon off, so fingers crossed its one less part to take out of the way.

Joe

Back