Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tire sizes, lift

barkev

Country Flag
canada
guys, I'm almost done on the engine build, now turning to aesthetics. I want hot wheels. Recommended max tire size for a '78 FJ43?

Attachments

• VID-20240316-WA0008.mp4
    1.6 MB
I have attached a photo that might help. The red one , Jonnie's, has 33/12.5/15 (could be 35s?) on it and I think he had a 2in lift. The white one has 31/10.5/15 and mine has a 2.5in lift. My body is stock with just the narrow flares to make it legal.
I tried his wheels on mine but didn't like the look but if you want full wheel arches, particularly at the rear, then the bigger tyre will do that. The red one had modified rear arches - take up into an arc - otherwise they would rub.

Jonnie had after market rims whereas mine has 60 series rims.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Rodger

Image0292.jpg

I have attached a photo that might help. The red one , Jonnie's, has 33/12.5/15 (could be 35s?) on it and I think he had a 2in lift. The white one has 31/10.5/15 and mine has a 2.5in lift. My body is stock with just the narrow flares to make it legal.
I tried his wheels on mine but didn't like the look but if you want full wheel arches, particularly at the rear, then the bigger tyre will do that. The red one had modified rear arches - take up into an arc - otherwise they would rub.

Jonnie had after market rims whereas mine has 60 series rims.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Rodger

View attachment 336040
Great info, thanks. Sweet ride you have there. Was there a big diff in handling, smoother highway ride maybe?

Thanks, my truck has 60 series engine and transmission and axles with coil sprung front end with radius arms and no antiroll bars front or rear (more articulation when off roading) so is far from stock. It was an ex-winch racing truck so I have just refined it over the years.
The turning circle is not great but is certainly better with the 31s than with the 33/35s and personally I think the 31s give a better ride particularly on the highway. If you are planning any off road stuff steel rims are more resistant to rock damage than alloys.

Rodger

Aah, the rear leaf springs:
I acquired a set of rear leaf springs that had more tension than my originals but with the modified (for winch racing) and substantial spring mounts on the rear they were fractionally too short which moved the axle forward - just didn't look right.
I spoke with the previous owner who could not remember what the springs had come off. So were stripped both sets, cleaned and rebuilt them using the top leaf from the originals and the remained from the newer set.
We did not add any further leaves and just we replaced the top leaf on the replacement set.
I will take some photos over the weekend.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Aah, the rear leaf springs:
I acquired a set of rear leaf springs that had more tension than my originals but with the modified (for winch racing) and substantial spring mounts on the rear they were fractionally too short which moved the axle forward - just didn't look right.
I spoke with the previous owner who could not remember what the springs had come off. So were stripped both sets, cleaned and rebuilt them using the top leaf from the originals and the remained from the newer set.
We did not add any further leaves and just we replaced the top leaf on the replacement set.
I will take some photos over the weekend.

Regards,

Rodger
Thanks!
Always keen on pix...

Back