Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tires? Best options

barkev

Country Flag
canada
Hi folks, restoring this 1978 FJ43 landcruiser.
Best tires for it? Probly 50% off roading driving.

33x10.50-15's look the best but I've heard they need a 2.5" lift...

Attachments

• 200160378_933271494175635_7649085108250993986_n.jpg
    200160378_933271494175635_7649085108250993986_n.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I can't help with a 40 because i never owned one , but if your new to this it might save you a packet to find a build thread and copy it '

Sometimes the discrepancy between what size is written on the side of a tyre and the actual size once fitted to a rim is as much as 2 inch difference !

Also pay particular attention to rim offset , or backspace i think Americans call it , used by others to get the look you want .

I've an inkling subtle is not what your looking for and so i would suggest you search google images for "FJ40 4" lift just to get an idea of the end result .

Done, thanks!
How long has this Tyre chicanery been going on? Is it widespread? I haven't actually changed a set of tires since 2014. Back "in the day" you got what you paid for.

Some brand names are pretty accurate but then the width of rim alters the tyre height so its just something to investigate when your about ready to hit the buy button .

Hi Guys my son has a 75 40 series and with a 2inch lift he put 35/12.50/15s on it so you would most certainly get 33s on with just a 2 inch lift but check the with as my son had to put flairs on the rear and cut the wheel arch out a touch bigger hence the 35s and 12.5 wide
Gary from down under

No doubt theres a compromise involved with 35's and a 2" lift , i'd guess your son extended the axle bumpstops to reduce the upwards suspension travel so he won't be doing this

1659957206187.png

My personal preference is 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift because it keeps the the driveline close to standard spec - useful at high speeds on tar while allowing for much larger tyres that don't rub or demand you trim bodywork .
But my experience is with the 80 and 90 series Landcruisers , the 40 is an entirely different animal . When extended shackles and leaf springs are readily available for a truck unlikely to see 100mph i reckon i'd do it once and do it right with a 4" lift kit . Worst case scenario is you end up thinking you should have bought bigger tyres .

My learning curve was back to front , i bought the tyres i wanted then made the trucks fit them , lots of cash wasted doing it that way i must have bought 15 or 20 different sized wheels before i was satisfied i got it right .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 40 was born a goat word is they just paint it and put a badge on it in the maternity ward car park :icon-wink:

A better driver who understands momentum is sometimes crucial here and the winch vehicle would never have been needed

great vid just shows that the 40 dose not need much compared to the modern units the old 40 is still king o_O

I have a 2.5 lift on my 40 and 31/10.5/15 on standard 60 series rims. I have 1.5 extension rubbers on the arches and no anti-roll bars or body lift. I have never had the tyres touch the body and we do off-road and I get all the articulation I need with very little body roll. Years ago I tried a set of 33/12.5s on and realised you need 40 acres to turn it round! I have had this size tyre on for 20 years and never a problem.

A 4" lift on a 40 will probably mean you won't get into the average multi-storey car park and having ridden in one with that lift that did have anti roll bars - it was not comfortable and on occasions you'd need stronger shocks or seasick pills.

Regards,

Rodger

I had my 33 inch tires before the 4 inch lift. My wheel wells are cut though. I believe Landpimp is running 33's on a stock suspension.

Here is a shot of After lift vs Before. Both with 33's. The 33's did not rub before the lift.

I am running the 33x9.5x15's. I chose them because I wanted a great wheeling tire that did not require power steering. I only miss power steering in some tight parking situations in parking lots. Have not had any issues on the trail. It's on my list for one day though.

A lot of people say Power Steering is the single best mod. My best mod was adding an Aussie Locker to the rear diff. The difference in wheeling capability was well worth it!

Compare Lift.jpg

Found this and the proportions look right to me .33's fill the arches well and the 4" lift only gives them room to move . My trucks all got wider to offset moving the centre of gravity upwards by using wider negative offset wheels .

A quick google suggests theres plenty of options to do this

1660097226318.png

and having ridden in one with that lift that did have anti roll bars - it was not comfortable and on occasions you'd need stronger shocks or seasick pills.

I wonder if it had an over axle spring conversion Roger ? cheapest way to do it but adds forces beyond what otherwise stock suspension is set to deal with . I would expect any 4" lift kit to include uprated shocks and springs .

Its all personal preference of course and budget dependant , I'm just enjoying imagining I owned a 40 and how i would make it mine and therefore a little different from the rest as is my habit .

Last edited:
It could have been an axle over job as it was when I was looking for my 40 and this bloke had two for sale but they were well past my abilities to restore as I've seen less holes in a string vest then there were in each of these two.

It is all personal choice, 31s suit me and Corinne and with 33s or above I'd need to steps for her to get in. We would also have an added problem as at the Spanish equivalent of the MOT they measure the height of vehicles that have approved non-standard wheels.

Regards,

Rodger

Back