Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TJM Bumpers - 105, will they fit a std 100?

Dave Burgess

Hello all of you in 100 series land...

I managed to obtain a TJM Type 15 Steel front bumper and bar (stickered as not suitable for Air bag fitted cars) and a TJM RB8 rear bumper from a 105 series vehicle with a view of fitting them to my 80 series. They weren't expensive and came in a job lot of bits so I thought I'd try them.

Having spent a couple of days fiddling with the 80 whilst waiting for parts to come in, I have come to the conclusion that whilst they will fit with some effort they are going to require quite some work and I may as well see if I can sell them to a suitable 100 owner and then get 80 parts that will fit properly. :roll:

Before I put them up for the 'Classified' section or ebay, I need to know if they'll fit a 100 as well as a 105. I realise there are some major suspension differences but are there major differences between the chassis legs at the front? Also did all 100s have airbags? That will probably affect their desirability too...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as TJM have been no use at all!

The link to the items' original brochure is here: http://www.tjm.com.au/Portals/0/Brochures/09brochure/09_toyotalc100.pdf

Thanks, Dave

from what i know the 105 chassis is different form the 100. I thought that the 105 uses the 80 chassis?

May be similar (in fact they are similar) but some of the holes don't line up at all. The big differences are how the body work lines up on the bumpers. As I said, they could be modified fairly easily but my current situation doesn't really make that too easy :roll:

AFAIK the 105 is essentially a 100 series body on an 80 series chassis, so the main bumper profile should fit an IFS 100 but where they mount to the chassis rails will need substantial reworking. Someone with a plasma cutter and welder might be interested in them for an IFS 100 but they'll be worth a lot more to a 105 owner I should think. Also AFAIK all UK 100's have air bags.

As indicated above, the 105 is different to both the 80 and 100 chassis and body so won't fit without some mods.

How much work do you think is required to get these to fit an 80 Dave?

Any chance of a few photos?

Cheers
Gav

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Two obvious problems are the bolt holes at both ends.

The rears don't align at all but both the 80 and 105 fitting kits appear to share a set of spacers (an 80mm square block about 20-25mm thick) with varying holes so a set of studs and bolts with some drilling should sort that. The wheel arch shape at the front of the 'wings' need amending to suit the 80 (just a chop back really and some styling) and there is a an unsightly gap above those 'wings' which needs some trim fill - there is a foam rubber trim fill on the 100/105 but it is a different shape.

The front brackets need minor filing to get one hole to align on the chassis, but all the other 5 align ok. The big problem here is the height of the bumper. Back edge is level with the centre of the indicators. That is a case of chopping the top off the mounting brackets (and maybe trimming the fronts to set it back a bit) to let it set down- this may mean the fair-lead hole doesn't align well. My suggestion to address the gap (the difference between the 80 & 100 grille/headlamp profile) is a chequer plate trim similar to the rear bumper step.

Not all that much, but beyond that they will need blasting and coating (though we know man with contacts- don't we Gav), so my half plan is to sell them and buy an ARB or similar with the proceeds. The other plan is to stop whinging and get on with the mods! :roll:

The bumpers wont match. the overall line up will be the same but the mounting points are completely different.

The 100's chassis rail tappers inwards where as the 105's chassis rail is parallel.

Thanks for that...

Guess they won't be that popular then. I'll just have to fettle them for mine! :cool:

Back