Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota Land Cruiser 2001 GXR

sherqa

Hi all, I am new here, I have 2001 GXR, I noticed that there is no Coil Spring in Front with the Shock Absorber (as all my previous vehicles have Coil Spring in front and rear) but here only rear spring but front without spring. Any Idea why

Hi and welcome aboard :thumbup:

You are running IFS (Indipendant Front Suspension) on torsion bars. The torsion bars are basically a straight springs that runs from the underbody (driver and passenger seat area) to the top wishbone. Instead of the spring compressing and stretching it works by twisting. You will find the ride and handling far smoother than a solid axle set up as there is less unsprung weight.

Not a problem, thats what were here for. :thumbup:

Good thing with Torsion Bars is that they are adjustable. Makes it possible to take up the slack as the spring weakens over time.
There is a bolt at the rear end of each TB, about under the middle of the car.

Thanks uHu for the info Torsion Bars Adjustable, :idea: can we also use the bolt to adjust the height of the vehicle?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yes you can but rememer the higher you wind up the suspension on the torsion bar the stiffer the suspension will get. Also you shouldn't adjust it up more than a couple of inches as you will probably start going through drive shaft boots as it increases the angle of the drive shaft.

If you have AHC then adjusting the torsion bars won't change the vehicle height past the next time you run the engine.

Best to only adjust them with the weight off the wheels as well, less chance of making a mess of the thread on the adjuster bolt which you really don't want to do ;)

One of the hilux guys adjusted the torsion bars on his MK5 with the weight on the wheels. He was lucky as the adjuster bolt sheared . The bolt shot out and one half embedded itself in the tarmac and the other half punched a hole through the underside of his truck. In his words "I thought a bomb had gone off as the noise was that loud. I'm just glad I wasn't laying under the truck at the time or I wouldn't be warning others not to do the same" :o

240120111158.jpg

240120111160.jpg

:o after reading all these I think it is better not to adjust the height and stick to the normal height

Back