Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission wind up

apc01

Country Flag
great_britain
I am going on a long journey tomorrow and would appreciate a quick answer to this.

While cleaning inside my Amazon VX 100 Series I accidentally pushed the centre diff lock button.

I did not notice until I had driven about 4 miles on roads around several corners when the steering got very heavy and the tyres started screeching. Then I noticed the centre diff lock light on which was previously obscured by the steering wheel. I pushed the diff lock button and after a while the light went out.

Is this likely to have caused any damage to the transmission?

How will I know if the transmission is unwound properly? It seems to be driving fine now.

On a possibly unrelated issue - when I take my foot off the accelerator and then back on again, at any speed, there is always a clunk and the car shudders. Is this normal and if not what could it be?

Thanks very much.

Hello there & welcome,
As a quick answer ... no you're not likely to have damaged anything drive train wise. It's normally a catastrophic failure when things get all wound up. As soon as you took the centre diff back out all the wind up would have released itself.

The unrelated issue ... my best guess is your universal joins on your drive/tail shafts. They sound bad enough to warrant checking rather urgently. You definitely don't want one of these breaking whilst going at speed.

Cheers,
Grant

Thanks very much grant. It is reassuring to know the diff lock has not caused any issues.

As for the clunk - it only happens when I take my foot all the way off the accelerator and then back on again - not at any other time. If I ease my foot back on the accelerator it is usually fine as well.

The vehicle has only done 111,000 miles. I am the original owner. I bought it brand new in 1998 and was one of the first seven official Toyota UK 100's that came in to the country.

If you'd damaged anything with transmission windup you'd know by now. Quite unlikely given the short distance involved. The trans will wind up to the point where either something breaks or the tyres start to slip/screech which is actually releasing some of the tension but obviously not good for the running gear.

X2 on the UJ's clunking.

I have just been for a drive and noticed that the clunk only happens when the engine warms up.

"Clunk" is probably not the best way to describe it - there is more or a "thud" or "jolt" as opposed to any mechanical sounding or metallic noise, as if the drive train taking up slack somewhere.

I would try greasing the tail shaft spline. I find mine does this and needs greasing every couple of months or so. I believe it is quite common on these to dry out and stick. Hope all goes well

thommo

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Thommo.

I have noticed a few other factors on the clunk which happens only when taking the foot off the pedal, and then accelerating again:

1. Does not happen when engaging forward or reverse drive. I have read that worn UJ's would probably do this.

2. Does not happen until the engine warms up.

3. Does not seem to happen - as much at least in lower gears - only top gear.

4. Does not seem to happen as much at higher speeds.

5. There is no ongoing vibration from the drive train while driving.

Apart from the clunk on accelerating from coasting for a few seconds, the transmission is very smooth.

Last edited:
It could be a gearbox cross-member mounting rubber. I don't know the 100, but on my 80 the rubber separated from the steel bracket. On overrun I was getting a clunk, (but no shudder :icon-biggrin:). Worth a check, but they're expensive to replace.

I have replied to your question "on the other side", what I said concurs with everything said here :icon-wink:.

Can I assume that you have an Auto Box ??

The clonk is starting to sound rather like an auto box issue rather than propshaft UJs - but check the UJs first - they are straightforward to test and replace :lol:.

We need an Auto Box expert to pop in, I am just getting the hang of driving mine, I don't know much about what goes on inside :oops:.

Bob.

Thanks Bob for this and your other reply. Yes it is an auto box.

This could not have happened at a worse time as I am leaving tomorrow for 1000+ miles of driving, and I am not a mechanic. The car only has 111,000 on the clock which is not a lot for one of these.

From what I have read generally the issue does not sound like UJ's, especially as it drives very smoothly otherwise, no vibration, and goes in to forward and reverse from standstill very smoothly without a clunk. Also seems speed and temperature dependant.

It may have been doing it before to some extent, but after the centre diff lock experience I am more sensitive to issues :)

Last edited:
This could not have happened at a worse time . . . . .

There is never a good time :icon-wink:.

DSC_7716_zps430f6da6.jpg

Relax - The 100-Series has a better design and the lower balljoint is in compression, unlike the 90-Series where it is in constant extreme tension :thumbup:.

Bob.

I owned an 80 series that colour before I bought the 100 - that was a great car as well :)

Hi, my brother had same issue and after many hours of crawling around underneath, we found the front diff mounts had failed. The bolt down onto the cross member, worth a look if it's not too late..

Last edited:
Back