Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trouble Starting

AlexDukes

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi everyone,

My Lj70 2.4TD has developed a starting problem.

I have just recently replaced the starter motor, Fuel filter and everything on the fuel delivery is fine.

I also tested the resistance of the glow plugs and they all seem to be the same value.

But when I try to start the car, it cranks for maybe 40 seconds before firing, it then runs fine and starts again whilst it is still warm.

Any ideas?

Hi man, It sounds like the fuel is moving back to the tank and when your turning it over you're pumping the fuel back to the engine.

It can be the metal to rubber connections along the line or the fuel filter head.

Mine does the same and when it doesn't start straight up... I open the 17mm banjo for the return line near the top of the pump... then pump the filter head until the fuel is there. Normally does this when it's low on fuel.

I've tried this and it seems to be fine. Once I finally get the car running, it runs fine.

It's just getting it started!

Maybe it is the glow plugs???

Putting a non return valve in the fuel line has cured a similar problem for many .

Just found out that my alternator has died, would this have been part of the problem?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All the problem probably , you will soon know given something definite to fix .

So I have changed the alternator and first go, it seemed to be working. But today, it is back

It's back to its same tricks, do you think it could be the glow plugs even though they tested OK?

Fuel filter housing letting air in is a well known but very difficult to diagnose problem on old diesel engines .

But once the car is running, it runs great, if it was fuel related, surely it would run rough?

Air gets in the line letting fuel run back towards the tank , once its running the pump is sucking fuel constantly . Not sure about the 70 but steel pipes coming off the fuel tank corroding is a common cause of similar issues on the 90 series cruisers .

So where do i put the non return valve? On the pipe to tge engine or on the return to the tank?

Non return valve isn't a fix IMO.

Good chance it's the filter housing. Worth getting a good second hand one first. Better to fix the issue rather than putting something else in. Could put a pusher pump in though. that would get the fuel up before you start it and also take some of the drag off the fuel pump.

*Update* so I have put a piece of clear pipe in between the tank and filter, I did notice that there was air getting in somewhere and the fuel was returning back to the tank when the engine wasn't running.

I tightened everything up and things looked better, a small air bubble when the engine was off but otherwise fuel was in the line up to the filter.

Woke up this morning excited that the car might start well, but yet again, same problem. 20 seconds of turning over, lists of grey smoke and smell of diesel, eventually started, and then runs great.

Any ideas of where to look now?

Steven... That sounds like your air filter is clogged. This happens after you have followed close behind another vehicle on a dirt road, waiting for an opportunity to overtake. Install a new one and see if this is the cause.

Back