Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trying to join the club, looking for insight.

macfreshy

Country Flag
united_states
Hey all,

I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger on a JDM import HZJ73, 190k ish miles, water pump, starter, timing belt, new ironman 2.5 lift and a few other things done, reported to run great. It's a little steep for me, but in my mind represents a reasonable value, and it checks almost all the boxes. I want to buy one truck to last me a long time, will not "daily" it, but will run around town regularly, and will mostly use it for a few trips a year, backcountry and mild to moderate off road. Up to possibly 2000 miles per (though not more than 1 of those a year) with a total yearly of 10k miles or less. More interested in covering ground in varied terrain and dependability than in going fast, building out a crazy overland rig, or doing any real crawling. It's just my partner and I, not a lot of gear, and we tend to prefer it a bit more "primitive" when we're out there than have too many comforts. I should add, that I've wanted something almost exactly like this since I was a teenager, and it was only through a bit of real life, not easy or fun stuff, that I find myself in a position to even think about it.

I know there are easier things, but I found a bit of a unicorn, and am mostly only interested in Short to mid wheel base stuff, the removable FRP is also very appealing.

Can this crew give me any insights about things I should consider, reasons this may be a great idea or a terrible one? Fairly new to working on cars, but have been a bicycle mechanic my whole life, so nothing I've come up against yet has been too wild or daunting to stop me from being willing and optimistic.

thanks a ton for any insights here.

When it checks all the boxes, then just do it!
190k is not much for a hzj73. If you do regular maintenance it will last for many 100k miles.
there are a few things to keep in mind:
-the 1hz engine is véry sluggish and doesn't like to drive uphill at all. Luckily it is quite easy to add a turbo. By far the most satisfying add on to my truck! Keep the boost at 0.5bar and the engine will last 100k miles. Without the turbo, the engine will last much longer than the rest of the truck.
-the 70 series rust. They rust very badly. Never ever drive it on the beach and try to avoid to drive it when there is salt on the road.! Invest in a good quality rust treatment. Check especially around the windshield and the rear quarters.
-The hzj's are very reliable and simple trucks. Expect fuel economy 12 liters/100 kms.
-Highway speed 75mph is nice, faster is possible, but you'll notice that the truck isn't made for going fast. You will want to add sound dampening mats.

Fantastic truck! Have fun!

I absolutely agree. Very rare and special trucks so if you're on to a good one get it bought asap. You sound like a clever chap with the right intentions so I think it'll be the best thing you ever do.

I was in a similar situation last year when a HZJ75 came along that I couldn't pass on. What it lacks in speed and power it more than makes up for in charm and reliability and character.

This is great, thanks a ton! I believe this one has the common rust on the windscreen frame, but am told it's only there. Those seem relatively easy to source these days, so as long as it's only there I'm not too worried. Definitely plan on looking pretty close at the arches, frame and all the under bits to be sure!

Back