Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo modifications?

KZJ90

I started to think about some little upgrade for the stock turbo (CT12b). I think it don´t flow very well, because EGT is quite high at higher rpm and full throttle. It´s quite similar size compared to CT20 which is used at 2L-T engines. I found that CT12b is used at Supra Twin-Turbos (different flow specs, of course), and because of that, there is some hybrids made of the stock turbo (like this: https://www.speedforsale.com/suprap...-p-553.html?osCsid=q46rvoe3dilanjqpddt04bvtb6)

So, what I am asking and want to know, is that have anyone heard/seen any CT12b hybrid turbo in 1KZ-TE engine which is made by using Garrett GT28 parts?

I also found this from an other forum (http://dahn.webcity.com.au/~toy49040/fo ... php?t=9175):
if you want to put a bigger turbo the best turbo for the 1kz-te 3ltd is a garrett GT28R (GT2560R) ball bearing turbo, way more fuel efficient comes on boost 300rpm earlier and hits full boost 400rpm earlier and will last longer and makes your engine put out more power at the same boost level cos its a bigger turbo than our stock turbos. ct12B which are quite old tech now.

I've run a whole heap of Garrett turbo's on various Toyota's no diesels thought yet.....

There are plenty of conversion kits/parts available for other toyota's eg Supra/MR2/ST220 etc to swap them to Garrett so it should'nt be hard to do

Here's what I have lurking in my Toyota Cresta

IMAG0464copy.jpg

DSC_8113copy.jpg

IMAG0479-1.jpg

Your link above looks like modified stock turbo housings with GT28rs internals, the hosuings are machined out. Universal Turbo's do this on CT26's for Supra's ;)

That´s the my idea too, to keep it looking stock (read leagal). Easier to install too. Complete GT28R would need: new flange between the exhaust manifold and turbo, new downpipe, turning the compressor housing + flanges for it (inlet/outlet), new water/oil pipes... ect. But machining CT12b stock housings for GT28 internal parts is the shortcut to happiness. ;) But it costs more... :(

Garrett GT2560R ordered. :dance: Let´s see how it goes. New plan: Toyota CT12b compressor housing to this ball bearing Garrett (need some modifications), an adapter to the exhaust manifold, new pipes for oil and water + new downpipe.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some updating.

CT12b vs GT2560R:
ct12bvsgt2560r1000.jpg

Hybrid:
garretttoyota.jpg

Compressor housing turned for bigger compressor wheel:
turbosorvattu.jpg

Garrett adapter turned for CT12b compressor housing (not welded yet):
kompurapesnadapteri.jpg

Adapter for exaust manifold:
adapteris.jpg

New hoses:
turboletkuineen.jpg

Do you have drawings on the turbo manifold adapter?
does the gt2560 give the same amont of air like the GT2860? or was it just for that the gt2560 dont needed so much machineing?

What are the modification that you have done with your car?

Br
Anders

Norway

Andersw said:
Do you have drawings on the turbo manifold adapter?
Yes, some kind of. Here (not in scale):
t25flange.jpg
I have one extra, I can send it to you if you are interested.
Andersw said:
does the gt2560 give the same amont of air like the GT2860? or was it just for that the gt2560 dont needed so much machineing?
There is smaller turbine wheel in GT2560R, so the flow is not so good, but I choosed it because I want retain good low end torque, there is now enough power at higher rpm. But GT2860R would be even better choise. No one knows, so I took the safe side. The compressor housing is a question mark too, how it performs with bigger wheel...
You can compare turbos at Garrett site:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... 6541_4.htm
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... 7160_5.htm
Andersw said:
What are the modification that you have done with your car?
In engine: Water-IC, 3" exhaust, Adonis powerbox, throttle plate removed, pump timing and injectors adjusted.

I got this installed 2 months ago. It is worked well, but not affect as much than I hoped. Anyway, it starts to boost sooner (0,1 bar/1100 rpm, 0,5 bar/1500 rpm, 1,0 bar 200 rpm) and max. exhaust temperature is not as high. So, anyway I am pleased to the result.

garrettassembly.jpg

garrettinstalled.jpg

Landcruiser Power said:
Hey the new Turbo looks good, whats your temperature running at now EGT, at what boost, Thanks

Talking about EGT... what is good? what is bad? I hear lots of Aussie guys talking about EGT but once I have a probe and gauge, how does it help me?

Landcruiser Power said:
Hey the new Turbo looks good, whats your temperature running at now EGT, at what boost, Thanks

About 1.3 bar, max. EGT is about 700°C after turbo.

fridayman said:
Talking about EGT... what is good? what is bad? I hear lots of Aussie guys talking about EGT but once I have a probe and gauge, how does it help me?
700°C is the max temp you should run at, but it´s before the turbo. I have measured it after, so it can be about 800°C before. So, it´s not safe to run long time at full throttle in my situation.

Back