Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Unconnected Wire in Engine Bay

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi,
Was rooting around in the engine bay today and have gone across a disconnected wire.
It runs from the bottom of a unit (no idea what it does) and has a nice lug on the end.
The said “unit” has a cable coming from the distributor cap, so the question is, what is the unit connected to the distributor cap and should this wire be connected?
Pictures aren’t great !!!

2E4FC6D7-40D5-4D60-95DF-23B0166F6A53.jpeg
4CB34F7D-7951-4A1F-8F01-B4EF99829538.jpeg

Ok looks to be an ignition coil, should it have 2 connected wires to the bottom of it?

Hello,

I’ve got the 4.5 too so I’ll check mine and get back to you.

Why is your washer bottle there? Do you have a dual battery set up? Also, what are the blue air lines on the firewall?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello,

I’ve got the 4.5 too so I’ll check mine and get back to you.

Why is your washer bottle there? Do you have a dual battery set up? Also, what are the blue air lines on the firewall?
Cheers, Yep dual battery setup, so relocated the water bottle, blue air lines are per Grimbo
Black wire with an uninsulated tab like that is most likely an earth......
Yep you are correct and at the moment I have fixed it to the engine lifting bolts

I’ve checked and can’t see anything similar in mine, other than the earth strap on the back of the intake manifold. I can see yours is connected already.

Attachments

• 37F03316-0971-4AB6-BDFE-47B4D1316522.jpeg
    37F03316-0971-4AB6-BDFE-47B4D1316522.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 38
If you don't have any luck I can check on mine but probably another week or so till I get it back. Its currently stored elsewhere while getting work done at home.

If you don't have any luck I can check on mine but probably another week or so till I get it back. Its currently stored elsewhere while getting work done at home.
Cheers no rush I have connected it to the lifting point on the engine block at the moment, when you get the LC back if you could have a look cheers.

The wire goes to the engine lifting point where you've put it.

It goes off into the wiring harness near the ignition coil after that.

Back