Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

up grade

Any emissions based tax would be fairer based on the emissions from the last MOT for older vehicles. It's computerised and the info is there. People with well maintained vehicles are likely to have better emissions. Those using cleaner fuels like bio-diesel should have too. If there are no figures such as for a car registered abroad going into a LEZ or similar then manufacturers data can be used. It is the congestion charging / LEZ type zones that will be the sooner hit as those local gov areas given approval will be using the method to "clean up their air" (or grab money). Scrappage is just an incentive and most with older vehicles cannot afford new even with the scheme and of course they don't make 'em how they used to in so many ways. Bunker diesel in shipping is the big pollutant so a global problem and less easy. Locally emissions from heating boilers are a bigger culprit but taxing that will force some into more hardship as many have no economically close alternative to switch too. I just wish we had a clearer idea on future policy so it was easier to predict the cost so we could make the informed choice based on our usage.
I like the older better built more fixable stuff that Higgy alludes to in his first post as long as it's not too much of a corrosion issue (my welding needs more practice) and parts available which LCs seem decent (now hoping I redeemed myself from continuing the thread OT there). This is even though I am an electronic engineer by training. Well built and easy to maintain is just sensible especially environmentally as so much goes into production and shipping and disposal of vehicles.
I went 1KZ when I bought my LC last year (my 1st Toyota) but wife went petrol with her car as she had to regularly go into a city which may start charging (but now she is changing job to another town). I had a petrol Audi 100 MK2 with a 2.3 petrol that had done loads of miles when I bought it & no history and it had way over 200 thousand when I sold it because of mpg compared to diesel and increased usage. It was still running really sweet and I would expect a Toyota to be as good if decently maintained. I have read that LPG lessens the life though but I don't have enough knowledge / experience to comment with any certainty.
I pretty much agree with all you say - sensible and well considered. Unfortunately governments don't make law based on well considered sense, they respond to the public view/collective hysteria as that's where the votes are.
So diesel is the new evil and the majority don't care about a few eccentrics who believe in old cars - we'll be the scapegoats and scrappage will lessen the blow for owners of more modern diesels [who can't wait to get their new car anyway] happy side effect - more new car sales!!

I pretty much agree with all you say - sensible and well considered. Unfortunately governments don't make law based on well considered sense, they respond to the public view/collective hysteria as that's where the votes are.
So diesel is the new evil and the majority don't care about a few eccentrics who believe in old cars - we'll be the scapegoats and scrappage will lessen the blow for owners of more modern diesels [who can't wait to get their new car anyway] happy side effect - more new car sales!!
So I guess there is no hope.. I have no choice.. il just have to buy a 4.7 v8 petrol amazon.. and set fire to my trusty old Diesel..but joking apart im still relying on the government not doing anything in my lifetime.. unless they cap the scrappage minimum pay out at 5grand !!!!!

Back