Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Updated MOT

Are vehicles exempt from the MOT still after 25 years as classics or am I missing something been a long time outta the UK now...lol

Currently it's only cars built before 1960 that are mot exempt but from May 2018 it changes to cars over 40 years of age, so pre 1978 will be mot exempt which means I am going to have to wait until 2036 for my truck to be mot exempt and if the EU and this countries government have their way there will be no fuel or internal combustion engines anymore.

Might have to export my cars to and register them in a third world country somewhere lol.

The mrs just showed me something on facebook that suggests included in these changes is the clause -

"fails marked dangerous cannot be driven away without repair"

Talk about promoting extortion .
I would think you can take your vehicle away if your current MOT certificate is still valid

Technically when your vehicle fails its mot, the current mot is void by the letter of the law.

I would think you can take your vehicle away if your current MOT certificate is still valid
If it's deemed dangerous it should not be driven in my opinion, if you get stopped by VOSA if that's what the call themselves now a days, and it is not road worthy you are not going anywhere

I used to think an mot was a good thing but now i have a whole heap of perfectly good spare parts that were failed , i normally find its stuff that passed the test which actually needed replaced .

I can imagine a fortune to be made from single mothers when presented with "pay us x to repair it , or xx to tow it home for you , or xxx to dispose of the vehicle on your behalf "

They just failed two perfectly good Pedders shocks on my truck because there was oil on them , yet there is no bounce at the front end of my truck at all . They never noticed all front control arm bushes are shot so failed virtually new inner tie rods while "guessing" why i have play in my steering . A brake and a power steering line were failed because the rust converter paint i put on them bubbles as it converts and seals so i will just polish up the perfectly good failed pipes with sand paper .

Never mind a guaranteed pass can be bought for any vehicle if you bung 50 quid to the right man in the pub .

Shayne, please do not tempt me to rant, personally I think the MOT is a incredibly flawed and useless system.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Shayne, please do not tempt me to rant, personally I think the MOT is a incredibly flawed and useless system.
It used to be to ensure vehicles were roadworthy, it's now morphed into a monster thats a lot more than that

If your old MOT certificate is still valid you can still drive it away if it fails the test. If the failure is regarded as dangerous I would think they can only recommend it is not driven. The garage will have no legal power to seize your vehicle. All MOT results are now electronically recorded so the testing station could easily prove the situation if anything happened.

I had an 'advisory' several years ago on the rear ARB bushes which looked fine to me. It past without any advisories the following year with the same bushes still in there. ??

If your old MOT certificate is still valid you can still drive it away if it fails the test. If the failure is regarded as dangerous I would think they can only recommend it is not driven. The garage will have no legal power to seize your vehicle. All MOT results are now electronically recorded so the testing station could easily prove the situation if anything happened.

I had an 'advisory' several years ago on the rear ARB bushes which looked fine to me. It past without any advisories the following year with the same bushes still in there. ??
The MOT is a joke, it all depends on the tester.

Had the same on the A frame bush on a landrover, took it off the road because I couldn't afford to get it fixed. Next tester, a landrover garage, passed it without me doing anything

Has anyone had any troubles with the new MOT?

Non whatsoever. Tester commented it was all a big panic over nothing.
My 80 has had the ABS delete option too..

Do our old 80s come under any tougher emissions tests?

Back