Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Using my 70 series to push cars blocking my drive - legal or very illegal?

That's very annoying especially if it's different people all the time and you therefore don't have a fixed target. In England there is no right to park on the road and you are entitled to move things out of your way. The fact it's a car is irrelevant. Trouble is it's impossible to move a car without damaging it. Clamping cars on private land is now illegal in England unless you have a court order.

Just thinking most small towns have a free local rag so how about getting them to run a story

Resident's seek private ownership of legal access so they can police illegal parking themselves .

DVLA offers private landowners in Scotland can issue fines for illegal parking .

It doesn't even have to be a bullshit story because a letter to the council requesting the same makes it true :lol:

That's very annoying especially if it's different people all the time and you therefore don't have a fixed target. In England there is no right to park on the road and you are entitled to move things out of your way. The fact it's a car is irrelevant. Trouble is it's impossible to move a car without damaging it. Clamping cars on private land is now illegal in England unless you have a court order.
Yes it's normally always someone different, that's the thing. Most of the locals know now a grumpy guy in a loud 4x4 lives back the alley and don't park in front :eusa-naughty:

Just thinking most small towns have a free local rag so how about getting them to run a story

Resident's seek private ownership of legal access so they can police illegal parking themselves .

DVLA offers private landowners in Scotland can issue fines for illegal parking .

It doesn't even have to be a bullshit story because a letter to the council requesting the same makes it true :lol:
I may do that if other measures fail. Our local paper loves stuff like this! They're often struggling for news other than the school sports results, part of the reason I like it here, generally very quiet!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would suggest that at law, the nuisance parkers are at the least just that, or at worst, illegally parking, with the penalty that goes with it.

Unfortunately, moving a nuisance parked car without the owner's permission, will probably be a criminal offense especially if you cause damage, which is highly likely.

So, IMO, you should put all thoughts (however satisfying) of moving cars, out of your head.

I would lobby the local authority (in writing) to install penalty parking signs even if you have to contribute to the payment for them, and lobby your local MP too.

I'm sure they would be willing, especially if you emphasize that you need your truck for your livelihood, and as mentioned, you have a young child and that the driveway/alley needs to be kept clear for emergency services, fire and flood rescue just to name a couple.

Failing that, I don't know what to suggest, have you seen the utoob videos of people sticking large, very sticky stickers to the driver's side of the widescreen, for similar anti-social behavior?

I would also call the police on every single occasion.

They will get p!ssed off with that and put pressure on the council to do something positive.

My advice would be not to take the law into your own hands without getting professional local legal advice on what you can and can't do without committing a crime.

Sympathy with the problem though, it's a tough call.

I got arrested for this, parked in a private car part of a block of flats with the owners consent while working on her flat, but as the car park was full of other trades parked in another bay, when it was time to go home there was a car parked behind me blocking me in, went and knocked the door to ask to move please, her reply was when I'm ready, 10 minutes later went and asked again same reply, so as it was getting near my tea time and had to be home I backed up and pushed her car out the way with the land cruiser, I did put a wheelie bin between us not to damage my truck, drove off her face was a picture. gob smacked. it was an old ford Mondeo. 2 days later the police phoned said it would be a good idea if I could call in the station, got arrested and was offered a deal pay for the repair or court, cost me £600 about the value of the car. The good thing about I got paid from the lady in the flat for the work I'd done, I asked the police what else could I have done there reply as it was private land she had the right over it and there was no reason for her to move and let me out. It was funny as fuck loved it. (no damage to my truck 80 series landcruiser)

Last edited:
Thank you Clive, lots of good ideas there. I was thinking if I rang the police more than about two or three times (would only take a week or less) they'd have a word with the council as well. I just need to get the ball rolling and contact them myself. I didn't want to make a fuss, and shifting someone's car is not going to make me any friends! I'll give up on the shifting car idea unless it is an absolute emergency (hopefully that never happens of course).
I appreciate everyone weighing in on this, lots of good sensible comments!

I got arrested for this, parked in a private car part of a block of flats with the owners consent while working on her flat, but as the car park was full of other trades parked in another bay, when it was time to go home there was a car parked behind me blocking me in, went and knocked the door to ask to move please, her reply was when I'm ready, 10 minutes later went and asked again same reply, so as it was getting near my tea time and had to be home I backed up and pushed her car out the way with the land cruiser, I did up a wheelie bin between us not to damage my truck, drove off her face was a picture. gob smacked. it was an old ford Mondeo. 2 days later the police phoned said it would be a good idea if I could call in the station, got arrested and was offered a deal pay for the repair or court, cost me £600 about the value of the car. The good thing about I got paid from the lady in the flat for the work I'd done, I asked the police what else could I have done there reply as it was private land she had the right over it and there was no reason for her to move and let me out. It was funny as fuck loved it. (no damage to my truck 80 series landcruiser)
Yeah I figured someone here has had a similar situation. I definitely don't want to get arrested (who does, right?). Glad it worked out for you in the end, and if all else fails, at least I know it can be done in an emergency! (good idea with the wheelie bin). I hope I don't get in this situation, so I'll try the easy route for now.

Just a thought, where I work in Kent, a couple of traffic cones across the drive with an old wheelbarrow in sight, seems to work, I also saw cones used when visiting the wife's relations at Northamton, (well it seemed to work) the more cones the better I'd say, it might avoid the grief, high blood pressure and frustration these inconsiderate numpties cause, another idea might be a sign with " Keep Acess clear ( paramedic, doctor or whatever you fancy) on standby" I do know how you feel, we moved house ( eventually)

Back