Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vibration on take off...Transfer Case?

Avalon Audio

Hi all

My beloved VX has developed a noticeable vibration on take of from standing start...feels like it is coming from under and just rear of the drivers seat.
Everything else seems perfect, it was serviced only last week and nothing was picked up so I was tossing up if I should book it into a transmission place first for a check up...

Any comments?

Cheers
Vaughan

Does it do the same when landing?

:whistle:

Could be that your prop shaft has been over greased or does not have enough grease in it which is causing the vibration. It may be that Toyota have done the service and over greases it and so you have lost the play required and hence the vibration.

If you put the car i neutral and accelerate is the vibration there or is it only when you are moving.

We need more information.

Could be that your prop shaft has been over greased or does not have enough grease in it which is causing the vibration. It may be that Toyota have done the service and over greases it and so you have lost the play required and hence the vibration.

If you put the car i neutral and accelerate is the vibration there or is it only when you are moving.

We need more information.

It only vibrate when moving, in neutral it revs smoothly

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Remove the prop shaft grease nipples and go for a drive over some bumpy terrain. This will push out any excess grease and hopefully solve your problem. If not then it rules out the over greased prop shafts.

I would have a tendency to remove the propshafts and check each UJ carefully. You can then remove the sliding joint grease nipple and expel any excess grease whilst checking that the joint actually slides. Also check for any signs that the propshaft has lost any balance weights. Also check for looseness in the t/box output flanges and diff. input flanges. With both props off, run the engine g/box up to speed---it probably wont change up as there is no load, so use manual control---and check for vibration.

Roger

I would have a tendency to remove the propshafts and check each UJ carefully. You can then remove the sliding joint grease nipple and expel any excess grease whilst checking that the joint actually slides. Also check for any signs that the propshaft has lost any balance weights. Also check for looseness in the t/box output flanges and diff. input flanges. With both props off, run the engine g/box up to speed---it probably wont change up as there is no load, so use manual control---and check for vibration.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I have it booked in on Monday for a check, will give my mechanic your suggestions as the first place to start.

Chhers
Vaughan

Could equally well be a dry ungreased UJ. I think garages stopped using grease guns years ago as grease nipples went out.

Frank

I had a simalar issue a few weeks ago. It was the front propshaft universals that was completely stuffed.

Back