Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Viscous fan re-oiling

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
As the viscous coupling is another known problematic area on the 80, has anyone successfully done a viscous coupling re-oiling on theirs?

I'm sure I have read somewhere that you can get the oil from Toyota for the job and that it is a fairly easy task :think:

there's quite a lot been written about it on ih8mud I think.

Bat21 said:
As the viscous coupling is another known problematic area on the 80, :think:
What are the problems? what should be looked for? :confusion-confused:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You can pick the oil up from a Remote Control Hobby store. IIRC it's silicone oil with a cst of 10000. It's not expensive. I re-oiled mine, but it didn't make a difference. My 80 occasionally ran hot when going up long motorway hills on warm days, hence the reason i tried it. Then on the Happy valley trip up a long climb in L2 the heat crept up again.

IMHO better to replace with the new one, which is blue, than to muck around with it. I got mine from Ian and it wasn't too expensive.

Two topics on this subject (the first one is for 1HZ viscous coupling used in 105 series LC): one, two.

Haven't tried it yet because there's no need so far. But when the time comes I'm prepared to play with refilling first and after finding out it doesn't work buy a new unit. :D

Thanks for the info, links and YooToob vid :thumbup:

This sounds a bit hit and miss so, I might give Ian a shout and see how much a new Blue one is.

As I'm fitting an electric fan in front of the rad and one in the bonnet pushing air out through a Kenlowe 'bulge', I'm hoping I should have all angles covered :thumbup:

Back