Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Volvo issues

Rob

Garage
OK no idea where to post this so decided to put it here, please move if there is a better location. Seeing as I am not getting any response on the Volvo forum I thought I would post it here. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=147915

My V70R has been making an odd noise when the passenger side wheel is loaded up, I think it is the bearing but after having a look at the drive shaft the CV seems to be rubbing up against the gearbox as there is fresh exposed metal on the auto box. Old bearing is a bit gritty so will be replacing it anyway.

Damage to gearbox:
2012-03-13%2018.28.16.jpg

Damage to the shaft:
2012-03-13%2018.28.46.jpg

No clearance on the right:
2012-03-13%2018.32.32.jpg

One of the engine mounts is broken so will be replacing it, even it this caused this to happen the problem with the shaft rubbing is still there and I ave no idea how to put it right. I cannot see any issues with the bearing in the gearbox, nothing obvious has shifted however I do not know what the output bearing should look like in terms of location. I would rather not bodge it by grinding the gearbox casing down a bit. Any ideas?

I think the engine mounting could well be the cause, if after replacing the mount & before reffitting the shaft , check all the suspension bushes & ensure the slider part of the drive shaft is free ( not overfilled with grease & hydraulicing ) & not seized.

I have checked and the shaft now sits in this location when the circlip snaps in place so replacing suspension components and engine mounts will not make the shaft sit further away from the gearbox :(

Rob said:
so replacing suspension components and engine mounts will not make the shaft sit further away from the gearbox :(
Will make it sit square to the gearbox though, and it does only seem to be rubbing around the top as if it's an alignment problem.

I have checked and the shaft now sits in this location when the circlip snaps in place so replacing suspension components and engine mounts will not make the shaft sit further away from the gearbox

Ok fair enough..

Got the mounts delivered today, wont get a chance to fit them until next weekend. Will let you guys know if it fixes the issue.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had bearing problems on my XC90 (2005), they had to replace 3 different ones after a year.

Pete

Re: Re: Volvo issues

Jon Wildsmith said:
Rob said:
so replacing suspension components and engine mounts will not make the shaft sit further away from the gearbox :(
Will make it sit square to the gearbox though, and it does only seem to be rubbing around the top as if it's an alignment problem.
Jon its rubbing on the top only as the casing is raised in that location. I get the feeling someone at volvo did not do the tolerance stack properly or someone has fitted the wrong parts at some stage. It would be fine if the inner cv was smaller. seeing its a late phase 1 R it has larger cvs. Question is, has someone done a gearbox swap with a non R?:?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

It isn't making very hard contact is it, you'd expect more damage than in the picture? A bit of play in the bearings, a broken engine mount plus some power and any marginal clearances are going to be used up?

Maybe your right Jon, everyone seems to be saying the same thing (apart from at work). However at work I design, test and develop gear and belt drives, and I would never be able to get something like this through a later technical review. Especially if I rely on a soft mount to make a critical tolerance stack work. Or maybe I'm reluctant to accept it as I'm used to working on landcruisers which are designed to a much higher standard.:cool:

Unfortunately Volvo was run by Ford for a bit so the disease will have spread. I'm with Jon on this one. My XC90 has also had 2 rear wheel bearings under warranty. Early models were affected to about 2005-06. Plenty of good bits about the car but a pity about the Ford cost stripping in places. :thumbdown: Nowhere near as durable as a LC.

Mine is a 1999 so its still a real volvo, but only just. However seeing as this revision of the P80 (850 and Mk1 V70) was released about 6 months after it was acquired by Ford then I guess I should expect some shortcuts...

So I replaced the engine mount and it still is making a grinding noise. Marked up the gearbox took it for a spin, had to manoeuvre/doge around Sunday drivers :evil: to do some high speed cornering at the top of the M32 to maximise the load on the front left wheel over as long a period as possible legally. Got back took the wheel of and the marks were still there. Next stop wheel bearing, although there is no play in it, the unit does not spin very well and I can feel some grittiness in there.

Back