Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vsc trc light

Thommo

Country Flag
australia
Hi all, the trc off light and the vsc trc lights have always come on when I engaged the centre diff. ( pushed the 4wd button). I have thought on a few occasions that it has put itself into 4wd mode while driving but wasn't positive that I hadn't bumped the button with my knee.
My daughter drove my car last weekend and managed to get it all crossed up on a round about, hitting the front left wheel on full lock into the gutter smashing the rim. Now I gave had a wheel alignment done and new tyres fitted. When I left the tyre shop and was doing a u turn, it was in four wheel drive and wouldn't come out. I had no option but to keep going and once straight it went out of 4wd, but the two lights wouldn't go out. I stopped and turned my engine off, restarted and no lights, thought all was ok.
So I have a slight howl noise constantly which I thought would be the new tyres, but the dealer says no way, it must be my car. I had auto serviced and transfer case oil changed. Still slight howl while driving. I now notice that if I engage 4wd that only the vsc off light comes on and the vsc trc light does not. They both light up on start up, so bulb is ok. Any ideas where to start looking or what could have happened?

I'm new to the 100-Series, but it sounds as though you have a completely different specification to the UK 100s.

Ours are permanent four wheel drive with a centre differential lock button on the dash.

Is yours actually part-time four wheel drive - like the Australian 90-Series ???

Part-timers don't usually have a centre differential, just an engagement mechanism.

A constant 'howl' sounds like a bearing or gear whine to me (bad bearing can cause the gear whine!).

If you could confirm what you've actually got in the way of transmission we can do some digging :thumbup:.

Bob.

Thanks for your reply Bob. To clarify it is constant all wheel drive and the button locks the denture diff. It is a Sahara model so it has the traction control and stability control. When I lock the centre diff, two lights come on to indicate that stability and traction are turned off.
I have also noticed today while driving that the transfer case lever has a constant vibration while driving which is as fine as the humming sound I can hear ( if that doesn't sound too weird)..
i locked the centre diff also today and it still does engage. I plugged my code reader in, but no fault codes are coming up, either with centre diff locked or not, which I thought it should have?????
any info is greatly appreciated..

regard
Thommo

Thommo

I have had a recent experience with the VSC TRAC/VSC OFF. My advice, (and it pains me to say this) bite the bullet and take your truck into your local Mr T for a full diagnosis. Then at the very least you have a baseline to what is going on with your truck. Once you"ve sorted out any underlining problems with your truck and if the VSC TRAC ans VSC OFF lights still persist you can then try the paper clip trick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhvuuFK1cTY

Dark Dude, I read your thread about the VSC TRAC/VSC OFF lights coming on but at any time did your Centre Diff Lock engage accidently ??

That seems to be what's happening to Thommo. Being electrically-operated it could be switched by a wiring fault or some glitch with the (inevitable) ECU.

Its a strange one and we're in the land of the Gremlins here. I much prefer levers and gears to all this Electrickery :icon-rolleyes:.

I don't think my 2001 'VX' has Stability Control or Traction Control; did these appear with the post-2003 'facelift' models ??

Bob.

I don't think my 2001 'VX' has Stability Control or Traction Control; did these appear with the post-2003 'facelift' models ??
I don't know if diesel 100's ever got it, not enough integration between the engine and gearbox ECU's to implement it on the earlier ones iirc and I seem to think they just didn't bother on the later ones?

To Thommo, what tyres did you have fitted?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi guys, thanks for your responses. Sorry for being off line but work and life keep getting in the way. Ok to update, yes it has locked the centre diff a couple of times while driving on road, which it haven't yet got to the bottom of. I read the user manual about it, and now my understanding is that Only one light ( the current one) is all I should see when locking the centre diff. The other one (VCR/ TRC) light should only come on if there is an issue with the system. So now either I have always had a problem and now it has fixed itself or I my comprehension of the manual is wrong.
So this weekend is front bearing replacement to see if that fixes the hum, if not start looking for something more sinister.

Sorry Bob, to answer your question about tyres, fitted Pirelli Scorpions as was told these are the quietest tyres onroad, which is what I was chasing. The humming sound is partly the tyres, as my front torsion bar has been wound up to maximum, it has a bad camber issue. Currently arguing that they should have wound the torsion bars back rather than up to max to correct, now they won't call me back. If the top of the front wheels are leaning out, I would think to wind torsion bars off, they wound them up, causing tyres to run on outside edge causing the hum. How hard is it to find experts????

Thommo, it sounds as if it's time you should also seek guidance from the great almighty and I'm NOT talking about Jon Wildsmith......

Thommo,

Try plugging an OBD-II code reader in and see if its logged any electrical faults.

That won't help trace the hum, best of luck with that :thumbup:.

Bob.

Back