Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

WANTED: Aid Convoy Support Vehicle (up to £5k ish)

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
I have an aid mission to The Gambia from the UK in Spetember where we are taking a convoy of emergency service vehicles and equipment to supply the Gambian Emergency Services. This is the website of the charity: Emergency Services Aid Charity - Home - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

We have one support vehicle so far but are looking for another.

It needs to be the following spec:
4x4
LWB
High/Low box
Auto or manual
Diesel
Either a passenger vehicle or utility
Must be road legal in the UK.

What is essential is the condition. It doesn't need to be mint but needs to have everything sorted that could possible cause a catastrophic issue on the trip, (e.g. if it was a 90 series then the transmission cooler, and lower ball joints. 120 series would be that the oil pickup was clear and injector washers/seals were good. etc.). It would be a big help if belts, filters, pads, and fluids were fresh.

Ideally it needs to be ready for an 8k mile round trip, although not expecting an overland vehicle but a few extras would be nice. IT wn't be through impenetrable jungle and mountain passes but West African roads.

I'm not expecting people here would do this but other sellers have seen it as an opportunity to offload their shite onto us, hence why I have a poorly 110 Defender (stop sniggering in the back) sat on my driveway.

As it's a charity and we need to do our due diligence please expect a vehicle inspection of some kind. It would also be handy if you are able to take a refundable deposit.

So, of the top of my head, based on price and availability, the following would be suitable:
90 series
120 series
Hilux
Newer Surf
Fortuner
Forerunner
Even a D4-D 4x4 HiAce might be suitable.
I think 80s and 100s would be out of the price range. A well sorted 90 (late 1kz or early 1kd) would probably be the sweet spot.

Really hoping you can help.

Ta

Looking at what you are doing, I agree that a 90 series LWB fits the bill.. I wish you the best of luck with the search. That round trip sounds like a great adventure.

A good condition well maintained Landcruiser is a rare find at any price here in the UK so you might find it more profitable to import from Gambia .

I'm not sure buying a vehicle in the Gambia will help in the UK to The Gambia leg of the journey.

I'd have more faith in one of these than a brand new range rover .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Older 2.5 ones are basic and reliable - not as good as a Lux, but they tend to be much, much cheaper (lots about under £5k).

Older 2.5 ones are basic and reliable - not as good as a Lux, but they tend to be much, much cheaper (lots about under £5k).
Thank you. You’re right, I’ve already spotted a couple of good ones under £5k.

Back