Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Water Pump

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
So, my 120 just came back from it's service and apparently the water pump is leaking, how badly I don't know, but I can't see any fluid anywhere (well I haven't looked, but nothing on the ground anyway) Got quoted £440 for parts and labour (apparently it's a 3.5 hour job).

So, has anyone here changed the water pump themselves? Is it a big job, and can a klutz like me do that?

Appreciate any advice

Well, let's start at the start. On a sliding scale of 1-10, how big a klutz are you, with 10 being the biggest klutz possible with 2 left hands and no thumbs? :?:

I've never done a water pump on a 120. In the grand scheme of things it's a simple enough job. I suspect access to be the biggest pain, as it normally is. Loosening drive belts can be an issue. The rest of it is looseneing studs/ bolts, normally, prising off the pump, cleaning surfaces of old gasket and gunk to take a new gasket and replacing in reverse order. You'll obviously need a fill also of Toyo coolant.

Well I am not that much of a klutz....I have rebuilt motorbike engines in the past so I "can" find my way around a engine... Couple of things concern me though, is the time it could take me to do this... Toyota quoting 3.5 hrs, so if that is realistic then it's going to take me longer, prob 5 hrs....

But the biggest concern is if the drive betls are loosened will I need to redo the timing?

I have seen new water pumps on ebay for around £100, so add in the coolent, there is a substantial savings to be made.

TonyP said:
I have seen new water pumps on ebay for around £100

You need to be carefull of some cheap parts on eBay, especially when I know where to get genuine Toyota water pumps for only slightly more ;)

Ian

Hello Tony i recently did my water pump on the Colorado and it was a doddle i didn't need to take off any timing belts (even so the Ellery said so). i would suggest taking off the bottom bash plates and just have a look with a torch and make your mind up as to whether you can tackle the job. my Colorado wasn't leaving any tell tale patches of coolant but when i took the bash plates of you could see that it had been weeping. Fingers crossed the 120 is just as easy as the 90.

Joe

Back