Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Welcome Duncan

G

OK,
Well I'm Duncan and wife is Gemma...
We are originally from Perth, Australia but have been living in London
for the last 3 years doing the usual working holiday thing.
We have a 1993 LC80 that we have bought for our big final trip...
driving back from London all the way to Perth. The trip is planned to
start about the 1st of August this year and take about 6 months.
We've been using Julian as our prep guy and so far had a few bits a
pieces done to make sure it will survive the trip (good servicing, new
tyres, snorkel, leisure battery, roof tent, etc). Trying not spend too
much as we don't really want to break down too often, but we don't
want to be too comfy either... where is the fun in that?
Don't really know much about cars, but slowly learning bits and pieces
as I go along... even "helped" Julian for a few days to learn what
some of the shiny things under the hood were...
Next step is to get some 4wd training/practice... can't wait!
And thats about it.
Cheers,
Duncan.
2009/1/8 <[Email address removed]>

Hi Duncan=2C

Sounds great- Julian knows his stuff thats for sure!

As to 4x4 training i would like to recommend someone i have used- www.4x4adventures.co.uk know the owner quite well now=2C he is fully Lantra qualified=2C as well asbeing an advanced Land Rover qualified instructor. he's ex Army and organises off road competitions in the south west (winch challenges etc- i think a couple of the lads on here have done one or two of them). he also builds his own trucks as well as running training for OEC4x4. I sent the missus out for a days training with him and she loved it and now drives better than i do half the time!

HTH

JIm> Date: Thu=2C 8 Jan 2009 17:16:47 +0000> From: [Email address removed]> To: [Email address removed]> Subject: Re: [ELCO] Welcome Duncan> > OK=2C> > Well I'm Duncan and wife is Gemma...> We are originally from Perth=2C Australia but have been living in London> for the last 3 years doing the usual working holiday thing.> > We have a 1993 LC80 that we have bought for our big final trip...> driving back from London all the way to Perth. The trip is planned to> start about the 1st of August this year and take about 6 months.> > We've been using Julian as our prep guy and so far had a few bits a> pieces done to make sure it will survive the trip (good servicing=2C new> tyres=2C snorkel=2C leisure battery=2C roof tent=2C etc). Trying not spend too> much as we don't really want to break down too often=2C but we don't> want to be too comfy either... where is the fun in that?> > Don't really know much about cars=2C but slowly learning bits and pieces> as I go along... even "helped" Julian for a few days to learn what> some of the shiny things under the hood were...> > Next step is to get some 4wd training/practice... can't wait!> > And thats about it.> > Cheers=2C> Duncan.> > 2009/1/8 <[Email address removed]>> >> > Yeah=2C Nialls right - you have to tell us a little about the toyo and> > yourself=2C of course.> >> > Mine hasn't been 'trashed' yet=2C like Nialls=2C but there is always a first> > time...> >> > I've been to the Sahara on a few occasions=2C having worked there with> > UNESCO World Heritage=2C as well as in South Africa=2C Zambia=2C Zimbabwe=2C> > Botswana and Namibia as an archaeologist.> >> > Renate=2C 1992 UK spec white basic modded beast> >> >> >> > --> > European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List> > Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/> --> European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List> Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/

hey duncan

welcome

none of my business but just a thought!!!

4wd training is great fun but as prep for the trip you want to do it is of limited use compared to cost..ive done africa to australia (twice) and never had any formal training!!! mark you i did get stuck a few times!!!

jeff watts

www.gonewandering.co.uk

> Date: Thu=2C 8 Jan 2009 17:16:47 +0000> From: [Email address removed]> To: [Email address removed]> Subject: Re: [ELCO] Welcome Duncan> > OK=2C> > Well I'm Duncan and wife is Gemma...> We are originally from Perth=2C Australia but have been living in London> for the last 3 years doing the usual working holiday thing.> > We have a 1993 LC80 that we have bought for our big final trip...> driving back from London all the way to Perth. The trip is planned to> start about the 1st of August this year and take about 6 months.> > We've been using Julian as our prep guy and so far had a few bits a> pieces done to make sure it will survive the trip (good servicing=2C new> tyres=2C snorkel=2C leisure battery=2C roof tent=2C etc). Trying not spend too> much as we don't really want to break down too often=2C but we don't> want to be too comfy either... where is the fun in that?> > Don't really know much about cars=2C but slowly learning bits and pieces> as I go along... even "helped" Julian for a few days to learn what> some of the shiny things under the hood were...> > Next step is to get some 4wd training/practice... can't wait!> > And thats about it.> > Cheers=2C> Duncan.> > 2009/1/8 <[Email address removed]>> >> > Yeah=2C Nialls right - you have to tell us a little about the toyo and> > yourself=2C of course.> >> > Mine hasn't been 'trashed' yet=2C like Nialls=2C but there is always a first> > time...> >> > I've been to the Sahara on a few occasions=2C having worked there with> > UNESCO World Heritage=2C as well as in South Africa=2C Zambia=2C Zimbabwe=2C> > Botswana and Namibia as an archaeologist.> >> > Renate=2C 1992 UK spec white basic modded beast> >> >> >> > --> > European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List> > Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/> --> European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List> Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/

A good reason to get training.

learning to read the road ahead=2C selecting appropriate transmission selections (the number of people who know when to preselect a rear and/or front locker before they get into trouble always surprises me). Also the safe use of recovery techinques is a must! the danger of hi lifts and winches cannot be underestimated!
From: [Email address removed]: [Email address removed]ubject: RE: [ELCO] Welcome DuncanDate: Thu=2C 8 Jan 2009 18:14:25 +0000
hey duncan welcome none of my business but just a thought!!! 4wd training is great fun but as prep for the trip you want to do it is of limited use compared to cost..ive done africa to australia (twice) and never had any formal training!!! mark you i did get stuck a few times!!! jeff watts www.gonewandering.co.uk > Date: Thu=2C 8 Jan 2009 17:16:47 +0000> From: [Email address removed]> To: [Email address removed]> Subject: Re: [ELCO] Welcome Duncan> > OK=2C> > Well I'm Duncan and wife is Gemma...> We are originally from Perth=2C Australia but have been living in London> for the last 3 years doing the usual working holiday thing.> > We have a 1993 LC80 that we have bought for our big final trip...> driving back from London all the way to Perth. The trip is planned to> start about the 1st of August this year and take about 6 months.> > We've been using Julian as our prep guy and so far had a few bits a> pieces done to make sure it will survive the trip (good servicing=2C new> tyres=2C snorkel=2C leisure battery=2C roof tent=2C etc). Trying not spend too> much as we don't really want to break down too often=2C but we don't> want to be too comfy either... where is the fun in that?> > Don't really know much about cars=2C but slowly learning bits and pieces> as I go along... even "helped" Julian for a few days to learn what> some of the shiny things under the hood were...> > Next step is to get some 4wd training/practice... can't wait!> > And thats about it.> > Cheers=2C> Duncan.> > 2009/1/8 <[Email address removed]>> >> > Yeah=2C Nialls right - you have to tell us a little about the toyo and> > yourself=2C of course.> >> > Mine hasn't been 'trashed' yet=2C like Nialls=2C but there is always a first> > time...> >> > I've been to the Sahara on a few occasions=2C having worked there with> > UNESCO World Heritage=2C as well as in South Africa=2C Zambia=2C Zimbabwe=2C> > Botswana and Namibia as an archaeologist.> >> > Renate=2C 1992 UK spec white basic modded beast> >> >> >> > --> > European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List> > Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/> --> European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List> Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/
Imagine a life without walls. See the possibilities

Yeah - I want a bit of training just to know how to tackle a steep
hill or water the right way, and what my truck is actually capable of
and when to use what locker etc...
Nothing serious but its hardly worth having a LC if I only ever drive
it like a car :)
2009/1/8 James Pugh <[Email address removed]>:

Duncan
That trip sounds brilliant - would be very interested to here more as
you develop your plan. Especiall your route!
Is your cruiser Manual or Auto Gear Box?
4x4 training is a good idea as prep for Long Range overlanding. Long
Range overlanding is another animal.
Get as much time under the hood as you can helping with the vehicle
prep - its invaluable to know basics of your vehicle.
Basic mechanical knowledge should include ability to do basic service,
re-build front hub assembly, replace fanbelt, know where
alternator/waterpump/starter moter is.
Anyway - enjoy the fun of the planning!!
Niall

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back