Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What are the Oil Capacities & Viscosities for a Colorado

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
I'm planning on doing an engine service & dropping & replacing all of the oils in Fiery this weekend in preperation for my three day trip up into Wales @ the end of the month. In order to help me facilitate this operation I've purchased an engine service kit (filters & oil) from Milners that came the next day :thumbup: :D I also have a good stock of 80w-90 gear oil already to hand from my previouse years of off roading & so 'am sorted in this respect :D But despite searching I can't find any info with regards how much 75w-90 gear oil to get to replace the oil in both the transfer box & the manual gearbox:?

This is the info I've gathered together so far;

Engine oil 7L of 10w-40 semi synthetic

Front & rear diffs 2.6L each of 80w-90 gear oil

Transfer box 2.5L (I think :| please confirm :pray: ) of 75w-90 gear oil

Manual gearbox ??L (no idea how much) of 75w-90 gear oil

While we are here & to bring all of this info to one location, it would be nice to confirm the capacitie & Viscositie for oil in an automatic gearbox as well (not info I need but may help others when doing the same search as me) :D

If any of the info that I've posted is incorrect then please feel free to berate me & correct as required :D :D :D

Thanks for that ignat, sorry Kevin :thumbup: Nice one m8 :D

Can't understand why that didn't come up with all of the searching I've done myself :? :roll: :)

Front Diff is only 1.1 litres,Rear Diff 2.6litres.
7.5 litres engine with filter change
Gearbox 2.2 litres
Transfer 1.1ish

I used 80w90 GL5 for the diffs and 75w for the Gear and transfer boxes.
I am going to drain the front diff and refill with Mobil SHC 75w-90 full synthetic in the next service.
The front diff does 50% of the work and only has 1/3 the capacity of the rear diff and is right next to the engine.
The oil gets a hammering and I want to make sure the diffs are running better oil than Comma.

Now here we go :!: :? See this is what I was talking about :) Everyone seems to think that the quantities are different :!:

So engine oil, Milners sell 7L with the engine service kit specific to the 3.0TD Collie, ignats link would seem to confirm this quantitie, but Bounder & Opie I notice seem to think that 7.5L is the correct amount :think: :?

Everthing I've seen on my search suggests that both the front & rear diffs require 2.6L, but ignats link suggests 2.6L for the front & 2.9L for the rear & then Bounders saying 1.1L for the front :shock: (thats not alot of oil) & 2.6 for the rear :doh: :? :p

Atleast there seems to be some kind of agreement with regards the transfer & gearbox :D

:?: :?: :? :? :| :think:

I just did all the trans fluids about 4 weeks ago, when I replaced the front diff.
I agree that 1.1 litres isn't much for a front diff but thats all they hold hence the reason I am going full synthetic Mobil 1 SHC.
If you think you can get 2.9 litres into the front diff then buy 2.9 litres the worst that can happen is that you will have enough oil for 2 more oil changes. :D
Buy good stuff for the transmission, not stuff like Comma, thats my recommendation.
You will also need a 24mm socket, and 10+12mm hex head drives for the front diff.
I used a length of pvc tube stuffed into a funnel and poured the diff oil down that much easier than trying to manoeuvre a 1l squeezy bottle into the cramped front diff area.
Funnel was cable tied to the powersteering reservoir and the hose ran down and straight into the filler hole.
The rear diff is doable with a squeezy bottle but an oil pump would be faster.
Gearbox and transfer are both accessible but awkward.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sae70 said:
This is the info I've gathered together so far;

Engine oil 7L of 10w-40 semi synthetic
Why semi synt? Take full synthetic.
sae70 said:
Front & rear diffs 2.6L each of 80w-90 gear oil
Same thing, go to full synthetic 75W-90 GL-5. The amount is 2.3 litres in SWB´s rear diff w/diff lock + 0.3 litres more if w/o (LWB is 2.6/2.9 litres, I don´t know what make the difference).
The front diff holds only 1.1 litres oil.
sae70 said:
Transfer box 2.5L (I think :| please confirm :pray: ) of 75w-90 gear oil
1.2 litres is the right answer regarding to Owners Book.
sae70 said:
Manual gearbox ??L (no idea how much) of 75w-90 gear oil
2.2 litres. And make sure it´s GL-4 oil. GL-5 is not so good for synchron-rings. And full synthetic is my opinion again.

Back