Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What wheels will fit my 120

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
I'm looking to change the appearance of my 120.
Been looking for a set of alloy wheels that make my 120 stand out.
I have found that the ford ranger has 6 studs and wheels look quite decent and not over expensive.
I just wondered if anyone knows if they will fit my 120 and what other makes I can look for .

Tony, nice to see you back !
I think the centre bore on the Ranger is smaller, which on just that they won't fit.
You also need the pcd for wheel nuts, and offset to make sure they clear the calipers.
You can probably find out both from Gurgle for comparison.
I dumped a Ranger alloy at the tip a fortnight ago, otherwise I could have given you a comparison.

Thanks tractionman I new I count on expert opinions on here.
Just seem to find a lot of ranger alloy wheels at reasonable prices also.
Can't find a decent looking Toyota set of alloy wheels to buy apart from aftermarket ones at stupid money.

Yep, even corroded 120 wheels are a minimum of £50 upwards on ebay, so as a refurb was required you might as well do your own set.
I appreciate what you say when you want something different !
You would need to confirm if the sizes I referred to above are correct, as I seem to think Ford changed design and maybe sizes on the Ranger at times.
There was a guy on eBay a few weeks ago that had loads of sets of Ranger alloys in decent used condition with crappy tyres on them.

Mitsubishi Possibly, Some of The older ones were a nice design, But i think the centres were Different..... Or the Older style Cobra's fit, But again its finding them at a reasonable price.... I took a set of Cobra's and a 21" set of Acerta's to the Scrap man.. Because i couldn't sell them on ebay.. I even offered them for free and had No Takers :confusion-shrug:

Yep, even corroded 120 wheels are a minimum of £50 upwards on ebay,

I gave £200 for my spare set of 5 120 wheels and had been looking for a good long time. They were blasted and powder coated for a further £150 so even then they stood me at £70/ wheel.

I think there are very few none standard wheels look good on a Cruiser but another manufacturers, deffo a no.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Reading the replies on here it seems it's an effort to get a decent set of alloys for my 120.
I think the Refurb option is my best way forward and may go black depending on if I feel confident it will look ok .

Before deciding to keep my standard 120 rims and refurbish, I looked on various sites, eBay etc and saw some standard wheels done black actually on the motors.
I didn't like the look at all, but we're all different with different ideas, and can depend on the colour of your cruiser, and whether you like 'stealth look' as some call it, i.e. black wheels with black or dark grey body. As long as you like what you choose Tony, everyone else don't matter.

We'll just your opinion has already made my mind up as to steer clear of dark looking wheels.
I will just go with the aluminium look as I done it on my Audi A4 few years ago and adds value to the look.
The only black wheels I have seen are the big off road wheels usually on the Amazon.

I went through the same dilemma when I had mine redone, and in the end I went with the std silver look. I think I paid £300 to get all 5 redone from a local place

I got mine done for about £300 as well I think. Was some place up north, maybe Preston way? TonyC recommended him if I remember correctly (can find details if you need), and he had a new set of wheels on the shelf so it was just an hour for him to swap the tyres over and refit. Looked brand new after.

Before and after pics

Attachments

• 20190202_163127.jpg
    20190202_163127.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20170226_141346.jpg
    20170226_141346.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 27
Some years ago i ran a few (old) Mercs and was a member of the relevant forum, MBs suffer from the same issue as ours in that our wheels have lathe cut and laquered faces, with normal paint on the rest of the wheel, when in good condition they look lovely in that two tone effect and glitter slightly without being garish in sunlight and under street lights.

Getting normal standard powder coating doesn't give you that effect and they can look kind of dull afterwards, whilst getting them refurbed to OE standards will cost over £100 each wheel and as with the OE situation the laquer finish isn't robust and any pinpricks will allow salt water under and the spider tracks will be starting back after one winter.

The MB lads had some success with the then newer chrome paints on the scene, those who had seen them reckoned they were as close to OE as you were going to find but a much more resilient finish, for a price somewhere above plain powder coating but not up to the eye watering cost of lathing and laquering with separate painting of the rest of the wheel.

Mine are still OE finish and still don't look too bad, to my eyes if i squint a bit :eusa-whistle:, but if and when the time comes i'll be looking for something like that myself.

I too think the OE wheels looks just right on 120s, whilst other LC models seem to take aftermarket wheels well they somehow don't gel on our motors unless you're into £500 a corner jobbies.

Back