Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which battery?

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Do any of you know if Numax Deep Cycle batteries are any good, (I've found some that are half the price of Optima's) how do they compare with the Optima's? one of my Optima's is kaput, would it be wise to replace both? :think:

I did not think a cyclic, or deep cycle, battery is a good idea for cranking batteries?

Crispin said:
I did not think a cyclic, or deep cycle, battery is a good idea for cranking batteries?
Why is that Crispin, these batteries say
"Numax have built an outstanding reputation for their CXV batteries in the Marine industry, particularly for powering Winches, Bow Thrusters and Inverters. Marine Cold Cranking (MCA) current is measured at 0 degrees C whereas the more commonly quoted Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is measured at -17.7 degrees (0 F).
It has dual terminals, a regular battery post to suit Land Rovers as well as stud terminals for winches and accessories.
XV-X battery is tailored to the Off Road / Leisure market and can deliver 1000 Amp Marine Cold Cranking - that's more than an most 'Winch' Batteries- and yet it is half the price!
It has a built in battery condition indicator which changes colour if the battery is tired or damaged - better to know before you enter that competition or set off round the world!
The battery has a capacity of 86Ah and yet is compact enough for two to fit in the battery box on a 90/110/Defender.
The battery has a 2 Year Warranty"
They sounded good, but I thought I would ask here first. :pray:

I had one on my previouse truck as the only battery after going through all of the Optima, Intimidator, Numax options & was very pleased with it :thumbup: I bought it from X-Eng @ the last Donny indoor 4x4 show & as far as I know it's still on the truck & going strong as we speak so now 2years on :)

P2250320.jpg

Here's a couple of links to previouse topics with mention of the Numax :)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8548

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8548

I also forgot to say that most people on here seem to advise just going to Toyota & getting a new OME one from them as they are a very good battery @ a very good price & I'm sure that that's what I'll be doing when the time comes :)

Here's a quote of mine from another forum when I was comparing different batteries that may help :)

sae70 said:
I have to say I'd go with the Numax (gel filled glass mat tech) I had one on my Vit & was very pleased with it :D :thumbup:

Here's a link to my original thread on the subject on SS http://www.shropshire-suzuki.co.uk/foru ... f=6&t=6025

And some text from the thread :arrow:

The battery on Snowy has finally given up the ghost with all of the cold weather and lack of use :roll: :) It's on charge now for the third time in as many weeks, but to be honest I've seen more life on a Butchers pencil :)

So 'Time for a dual purpose yellow top Optima me thinks' and set about searching the net for the best price and the correct fitment, but here starts my bemusement as the Optima that seems to be the most widely available and most commonly used by the off-road fraternity is the YT U 4.2 55Ah 750 CCA battery

Photo:

with additional terminals for the easy attachment of boys toys :) :wink: a close match in size to for the current factory fitment of an 70Ah 400 CCA battery :) But imagine my dismay to find more negative reports about Optima batteries than positive and a price tag of £165 plus postage :shock:

So after further investigation I have found two other batteries that seem to be getting good reports from the leisure/off-road community as a dual starting/deep cycle battery :)

The first being the DEKA Intimidator 9A78DT

Photo:

again a 55Ah 740 CCA battery with additional terminals, but I can't realy find anyone activly selling these on-line and the prices I do find are around the £120 mark plus postage :)

So after much reading and searching I find another new battery to the market place that many peeps are ranting about made by NUMAX called the CXV-X

Photo:

this is 86Ah with 1000 MCA (Marine Cold Cranking current is measured at 0 degrees C whereas the more commonly quoted Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is measured at -17.7 degrees). So again a very simular batery to the others if not just a little bit more gutsy also with the additional terminals for those boys toys :) :wink: Delivered to your front door for only £100 from X-Eng :)

I'm prety certain my mind is made up :) :wink: But wondered if any of you lot had anything to add to my findings before I pull out me plastic and blow the kids school uniform money =))

Hope that this helps you :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chas, have a look back through Matt Wrights posts - I know he bought Numax batteries for his truck & was vay pleased with them...

I've got one of the big Numax ones for my third battery system but can't offer any opinion on it yet as I haven't used it but it looks good kit.

I ended up with Yuasa batteries in Muxley for quite a bit less than what Matt payed for his & have had no problems with them at all to date. If I'd have paid more attention to Matt, I probably would have gone with Numax :roll:

Can't assist with the deep cycle bit though...

sae70 said:
I also forgot to say that most people on here seem to advise just going to Toyota & getting a new OME one from them as they are a very good battery @ a very good price & I'm sure that that's what I'll be doing when the time comes :)
I've just rung Toyo and two batteries would cost £122 as against £172 for the Numax pair. The Toyo one only has a capacity of 65a, and they don't know what the CCA is. Whereas the Numax battery has a capacity of 86Ah and a CCA of 1000a. No contest I think :think:

Hi Chas,

Numax are a good leisure/marine battery, I fitted a second set to mine to run the fridge, 2000w inverter & everything else I can connect to them including vehicle spot lights.

I had the inverter on all day Sunday running my fridge (test),drill & chop saw whilst building my internal packing system & the pair of batteries still measured 12.59v at the end of the day.

Some of the bus companies have fitted Optima batteries & due to problems with them buckling they are now trialing Numax.

Unless you have had a battery for a number of years, how can you say how good it is and also without knowing how a battery is treated its hard to compare one brand to another anyway :think:

I've had my £70 110AH Lucas leisure battery now for nearly three years, it's done 1000's of miles of rough roads and powered my fridge in hot climates for 36 hour stints without the car running.

I have had my £70's worth out of it now and I'm thinking of replacing it anyway as a precaution before my next trip with another Lucas battery.

For starter batteries I would use Toyota ones again.

Back