Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which battery

stumog

Country Flag
england
I am going to fit my winch tonight does it matter which battery i connect it to? i am leaning towards the n/s as i have my split charger running from the o/s one. does it matter?
stu

It does, yes Stu. It should go to the Driver Side battery. I went through the same process and a very wise chap explained why but being a bit thick I missed some of the detail. When you start the engine as you know, you get 24volts. As the winch is connected to the battery and all the other clever stuff it seems that you can put 24v up it somehow and that's not good. This is why jump starting must be to the DS battery and the PS one always has that cover over it. It's to do with the earth lead I think rather than the +ve one.

thanks chris. will add to the drivers side then. i dont have a cover on the ps battery.
stu

Ahh then you'll both likely as not, burn in the fires of hell.

Beats me where all those covers go to. You can order them.

I'd cetainly get the tie down's in place though. Surely Landcruiserparts.co.uk could assist with that.

Is an insecure battery not an MOT failure?

It is here, they are death on it in cars and commercial vehicles/lorries.

Very easy to make them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is indeed...section 1.9, pt 1. Check the condition and security of the batteries.

Reason for rejection - A battery insecure or leaking electrolyte.

It is an mot fail not having them secure.
I do have them for sale. Cheers Chris :thumbup:

Ok guys, I'm not trying to be difficult here, but all discussions about DS & PS batteries leaves me with some question marks about which battery should my winch be attached to in my LHD 80. :think:

Is is it possible for me to check (other than by its position in the car) which one I should be connected to?

BTW no covers, but I do have securing clamps!

thanx...

Back