Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

I have picked up a HTC Desire.
Android 2.
The inbuilt Navigation software doesn't work,
I don't know who's it is.
It can't seem to start up the gps, so I was planning to uninstall it, and bin it.
Then install another navigation soft ware.
I must say I am more a Tomtom fan than Garmin etc.
If some one can tell me which Tomtom version I should look for on the 'net to download for free and install.

thanks in advance.

Gra.

Hi Graham
I have a Samsung, also with android, and use a free app called "Navfree" which is very similar to tomtom. I'm very happy with it.

It uses openstreet maps which are available to download once you have installed the app. Loads of country maps, if they don't have a particular country for download, they seem pretty responsive in making it available to users.

Let me know if you're stuck

Cheers

Thank you James,

I shall see what I can find.
When I plug the phone into the laptop, it says it wants an installation disc, wheich I don't have.

Some thing about MT6516 from Media Tek.

May be I need to find an installation disc first.

Gra.

Hi Gra
I think that is just to install software on the laptop to enable you to backup your phone or upgrade the HTC's software. You should be able to download the software from the HTC website.

You should be able to just download the Navfree app directly from the google play store without having to plug it into your laptop.

Google maps & navigate - job done it is brilliant & free, it needs a signal to plan the route initially but it'll work without a signal from there onwards. Does traffic etc too.

Thanks all,

Haven't got around to having a go with it again yet, it all sounds very easy.

Can I download the mapping stuff without using the data allowance?
Can I rather use my home internet, which is also wireless, to download the app.?

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Graham, you should be able to do both of those on your home wireless network.

Cheers

Back