Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

White smoke

richtwist

Hi everyone

My Colorado 1kzte, started white smoking/missing on start up after 30s or so would run clear, so I changed the glow plugs with 4 new ones, this didnt make the smoke any better in fact is now worse,
It now white smokes every time I start it hot or cold and won't clear till I start driving,
When I'm driving it doesn't smoke at all but if I stop at traffic lights, engine idling it white smokes/misses that bad I carnt see cars behind me,
I can be driving and start costing with engine idling and there no smoke soon as I come to a stop it starts white smoking/missing,

Any ideas?

Thanks rich

Your header tank for the radiator isnt bubbling is it?

I had the exact symptoms you're having a very long time ago... and it turned out to be my head gasket. With little knowledge about these motors at that time I continued using the cruiser, with the occasional top up of the rad for a year +. When it got bad and was using a insane amount of water I decided to do the gasket myself. However, I was in for a surprise. The block was rusting and pitting and practically no good. I had to get a complete engine swap. Long story short, if it is the gasket and if you are using water fix it asap before other things get worse.

Similar engine, similar symptoms. The head was badly pitted - i suspect it had happened before - also ended up with an engine swap

Do the gaskets ever go?

Like its little brother, the 2.4, imo its the head that goes.

Sounds like it, the white smoke is the giveaway.

Dito to the above...White smoke your effectively boiling water ( think steam),,,,Blue smoke your burning Oil...Either way, stop using it and have it looked at properly, Good luck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do the gaskets ever go?

Like its little brother, the 2.4, imo its the head that goes.

Sounds like it, the white smoke is the giveaway.

Mine did on my first ever engine with the same story above. If I had bothered to replace it early it would have just been a head out, gasket replacement job, but being I left it over a year before dealing with it, the head and block were both in bad shape and engine was replaced.

Mine turned out to have bad pitting in the block in one of the cylinders

Ok so yes I am losing coolant, not much but I am losing it, with no visible leaks,
So my spanner man has done a sniff test and it passed so no gasses getting in the coolant, he also did a pressure test on the coolant and it wouldn't hold pressure, also started smoking more when the pressure when up,
So it's off with the head by the looks of it,
I'm gutted as only put a engine in 12months ago, the engine I put in was a 2000 model witched replaced my 1997 engine,
Does any one know if the two engines would of had the same design head in?
Is there reports of 2000 models having head problems or just early ones?
Also if I remove the radiator cap and release the pressure every time I stop, it doesn't white smoke on start up, so it must be pulling water in when it cools,
I've just ordered a new head set from roughtrax so If it is the head the car should only be off the road for a day, fingers crossed ha

Last edited:
Just a thought - if you have a spare rad cap give that a try, they need to open at a set pressure to allow water out into the expansion tank, ive read of a couple of folks tracing a fault to the cap.

Probably the head cracked though :(

Same head until the d4D engine appeared in 2001. Ive read that AMC heads are highly rated.

The removing the cap is releasing the pressure so when the engines off, water doesn't leak into the cylinder, hence no white smoke on start up or less.

There was a slight change in head design post 2000, but this didn't cure anything 100%. It's worth buying the AMC heads as they're apparently built a bit stronger than OEM.

Back