Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

why auto

When I get enough time I'm going to look at building the ultimate 4x4 transmission...... a manual box with a lockable torque convertor ;-)

Way back when I was a lad we had IH tractors and the 1255 and 1455 had a manual gearbox but also had a "turbo clutch" basicaly a torque convertor between the clutch and gearbox.... this enabled you could pull away in a high gear and then the convertor locked up and you had the efficency of a manual trans.....the other awsome thing was you could pull away without wheel spin or when ploughing just take your foot off the throttle and come to a halt , then just floor it and gently pull away again .

I've had both an auto and manual 80 and both have advantages ... as mentioned above the TC in an auto gives you the ability to gently take up drive without breaking traction ....in a manual this is much harder to do .

Auto V manual in an 80 isn't a fair comparison because a manual has so much torque you rarely need to change gear and the auto is TBH pretty archaic .
Modern multi speed autos with electronic controls and 10 gears are not far off being better than a manual in 99% of situations and with CAN also are talking to the engine and altering fueling etc .....but you can't tow start an auto so for remote work I know what I'd still spec .

We drove back from Wales recently in my manual 80 with the Jeep on a reasonably heavy trailer and for 100s of miles we just sat at 60mph on cruise in 5th with the engine below or about 2000 rpm....
I've buggered it up for towing by having bigger tyres (285/75/16 ) than standard and realy need to put auto diffs in the axles but it means it cruises well on the m way....just occasionaly needed 3rd on the steepest Welsh hills but if you use the revs like you would have to with an auto it's probably still better than an 80 auto .

Bottom line....if buying new for UK use I'd have an auto but Toyota GB won't bring in the HD range so no UK Landcruiser can tow 3.5 tons so that rules out any new Toyota as a replacement.....bunch of pr**ks they are .

Sadly if replacement needed I'd have to look at the new V6 TDI Ford Ranger if they decide to sell that in the UK .... at least it has an engine built to tow ( should add the current Ranger has engines and transmisions made of plastic ) so wouldn't want to tow with one of them

Back