Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why can't I see some picturs?

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

I have noticed recently, that I am getting a lot of screens where photo's should be, but they are missing. :thumbdown:

Is this some thing to do with the forum hosting the pictures now.

Here for example from Captsideways post on "You don't always need a Landcruiser to get to West Africa ;)"

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13939

here is what I get.

SnapShotlandcruisernet.jpg

Gra.

I have a slightly different problem with posts and pictures, when I click on 'see last post' if that post is maybe in response to another post that has a lot of pictures, for example Ben's and Only in Africa threads, it doesn't take me to the last post but halfway back through the previous or even earlier post
confused-29.gif
, and I then have to scroll down through posts I've already read to get to the last one. This never happens on posts that don't have pictures or when it's the first post on a new page. :confusion-confused:

Hi,

It gets weirder and weirder,

Gra.

Graham, can you see WWW.dropbox.com and dl. Dropbox.com? If not, that is the reason. The images are hosted there.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Crispin said:
Graham, can you see http://WWW.dropbox.com and dl. Dropbox.com? If not, that is the reason. The images are hosted there.

Hi Crispin,

Nawwwwwwwwwww,

Can't access Dropbox.

The "Great Wall of China" stuff again.

Are they "self hosted" or on the forums host for pictures?

Gra.

PS, can't use Google Picasso either.

They're hosted on drop box. Nit sure why since I enabled forum uploads.?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:

Must admit I still find it easier sometimes to still use photobucket. especially when using my phone. App lets me upload pics straight to pb then just link to them on the forum. saves the Mb's of uploading them twice

Re: Re: Why can't I see some picturs?

Crispin said:

Have you got server auto resizing working yet?:mrgreen:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Man they really need to chill out on that interweb wall Gra... see what you can do? :lol:

I would hazard a guess, as to pictures, that people are still using the photobucket type sites becuase you can get the images in-line with your words. The attached ones are grouped together at the end of the post and its harder to babble on about each pic in context.

Maybe that's just me though?... and maybe I have misunderstood the functionality and missed something?

Rob - not yet other than the thumbnail.

Sam - you can select where ti put the pics. After uploading them tthere is a drop down list under where you type.

Cossack said:
I have a slightly different problem with posts and pictures, when I click on 'see last post' if that post is maybe in response to another post that has a lot of pictures, for example Ben's and Only in Africa threads, it doesn't take me to the last post but halfway back through the previous or even earlier post
confused-29.gif
, and I then have to scroll down through posts I've already read to get to the last one. This never happens on posts that don't have pictures or when it's the first post on a new page. :confusion-confused:

Sorry Chas, I can't recreate this. Does it happen every time? Next time you find an example, email me the link you initially clicked on.

It happens every time the post in question has a lot of pictures, I'm thinking it's possibly something peculiar to my PC? do you mean the view topic link?

Sam said:
Man they really need to chill out on that interweb wall Gra... see what you can do? :lol:

I would hazard a guess, as to pictures, that people are still using the photobucket type sites becuase you can get the images in-line with your words. The attached ones are grouped together at the end of the post and its harder to babble on about each pic in context.

Maybe that's just me though?... and maybe I have misunderstood the functionality and missed something?
Hi Sam,

I am a fan of Photobucket, sure they have little snags now and then but any way.
I ALWAYS resize my images as soon as I load them into the laptop.
So every on of my albumns also has a folder which I simply call "Red" = reduced lazy yeah I know.
I use Pixresizer directly from Bluefive http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Generally I shoot images at 4000 x 3000, but I am sure you know, thats a couple of MB., generally over 4 MB
I resize, still keeping the originals, to either 800 x 600 or 640 x 480, maintains the same proportions.
It's all "very automatic " with Pixresizer.
Select the original folder, select the destination folder, select the new size you want.
100 images takes maybe 1 minute, leaving all your originals "as is"
The reduced images will also hold the EXIF, you can opt not to put the EXIF to the reduced ones, therby bringing the new size even smaller.

The ones I upload to Photobucket are the reduced sizes.
A 800 x 600 gives me a size of around 150KB,
And a 640 x 480 gives me just 100KB
I find most of the time the 640 x 480 is the best for forums.
They are FAST.

The big added plus is, I can put notes and references under each Photobucket link, so when the forum opens the pictures, there is my text in the right place.

The upload speed to Photobucket is lightning fast, as they are already reduced.
In Photobucket, I can edit my number plate with a nice "Twirl"
Some times I use PhotoShop or simple PAINT, to remove any reistration plate details.

The display time required by the forum to open the link, is also very quick.

I am not sure Why China blocks Dropbox, but it does, just like YouTube, Picasso, WordPress. FaceBook, Twitter, but I guess not being able to access FaceBook or Twitter is brobably one of the better decisions.

I could buy a VPN, but really don't want to spend money.

So for now, I prefer to use Photo Bucket.

Gra.

Crispin said:
Rob - not yet other than the thumbnail.

Sam - you can select where ti put the pics. After uploading them tthere is a drop down list under where you type.

If guys could NOT use Dropbox, that would be great.
If some one want to email me the reduced (800 x 600 or 640 x 480)
I will upload them to a spare Photobucket I have.
I could post the links incase others can not see Dropbox.

Gra.

Sam - you can select where to put the pics. After uploading them there is a drop down list under where you type.
Makes you wonder how I don't fall down more really! :shock:

Cheers Crispin ... and thanks for all the tips Gra :thumbup:

Cossack said:
It happens every time the post in question has a lot of pictures, I'm thinking it's possibly something peculiar to my PC? do you mean the view topic link?

Seconded. However i just learned to live with it.

Chris Green90 said:
Cossack said:

Try not using the scroll wheel until all the pics have loaded :wink:

Rob said:
Chris Green90 said:
Cossack said:

Try not using the scroll wheel until all the pics have loaded :wink:

I've tried that Rob, but it never goes to the last post, when fully loaded it stops halfway through a post with all the pictures, not even at the beginning of said post.

Crispin said:
Cossack said:
confused-29.gif

Sorry Chas, I can't recreate this. Does it happen every time? Next time you find an example, email me the link you initially clicked on.
I've always had this problem, just thought it was a thing with the forum.

Back