Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Window tints

karl2000

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Has anyone added window tints to their 120? The standard ones just seem a bit too light for me. Not talking about anything totally blacked out or heavy, but I think a little darker maybe nice. Front windows are fine and I dont think you can mess with those much legally, but really thinking about the back.

My old ML had tinted windows, so you couldn't see easily what was in the back without getting right up to the window, so I'm thinking something like that.

Never had aftermarket tints though - thoughts?

I have blacked out rear windows they came as standard , I had the fronts done to match the rear to keep the 120 cool when parked in the sun , they also stop your arms burning when driving when the sun is at the side of you , but had to remove them to pass the MOT here a computer they takes a picture with the front windows half down when the tester passers a certain spot during the mot and is sent off to the headquarters to check and given the ok before it can pass , blacked out windows keep the 120 a lot cooler in the strong sun , I will redo the fronts but not as full black like before ,

I went to a pro and he explained Germany tends to use a blue tint on windows as standard while Toyota uses green hence the same added film will look much darker (outside) on the German cars .

Maybe a stupid question, but here goes. Is there a standard number or something to specify tint - ie how light/dark it is? If Toyota had tinted windows as an option (or standard on Invincible?) I'd like to get as close to that as possible....

A good place will just use a digital meter , the same one police use , then show you what options you have . If someone says 20% is standard invincible a 20% film will make your windows illegal because they are already tinted .

Tint is normally specified by %light transmission. Front legal limit is 75% and windscreen 70% unless registered before 1985 (Limo tint is normally 5% light transmission)

Most vehicles now have factory tints to some level but as the law only covers the front you can do what you want on the back. If your looking for heat rejection as well as privacy then the new Ceramic tints are fantastic and reducing heat in the cabin. You can add a clear ceramic tint to the front and stay legal.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back