Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windows Media Player Organising

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Right then, with my new laptop i decided to organise all the music folders as over time when they appear in Media Player quite a few of the descriptions and album covers are mixed up so make it hard to find a certain song sometimes. After updating the library it has done it again.

As i use a hard drive MP3 player its not too much of a concern as i drag and drop from the folders to the player and no problems, just wnodered why it does it?
In all honesty, quite a few of the albums were from discs from a questionable source (from working in Russia) and some were just copies from mates computers.

Before we go any further....... i do not want an Ipod and i dont want to use itunes no matter how great people think they are, but if i choose to use another type of media player will the same happen again as the original files are corrupted in some way?

Don't you just hate it when people say - I don't want an ipod or itunes and the very first post says, why not use itunes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK you don't want to buy an apple hardware product. Cool some people are that way, but itunes is free, doesn't make you do anything you don't want to, works flawlessly and is as simple as a safety pin. I have nearly a thousand albums on mine and it feels so accessible that I can find anything I want in seconds. All my album artwork is there, years, track details, genres etc etc.

So, what you needs is something as good as and exactly like itunes, which isn't itunes. Hmm.

You could put your music 'in the cloud' as my Brother in Law keeps telling to do. Now I have no idea what drugs he's taking, but I don't want any.

Chris

It might be worth looking at WinAmp, free download. I have a dislike of WMP, as you have pointed out it does seem to do it's own thing.

You can have both installed at the same time, so nothing lost in trialing it

Paul,

Not sure why you are having problems - I have all my music setup in a tree of folders, sorted by artist and then under each folder is each of their albums.

This is shared over a network and accessible via a series of Win7 and Win XP machines and also syncs beautifully with my Android HTC phone.

After the initial library rebuild most of the albums and album art are pretty well sorted so I don't need to change anything.

If you are having big problems, google for solutions, but there are ways of deleting the WMP player library and then you should manually sort your music to how you want and get WMP to re-index.

Also double check the options in WMP - I never let it rename music files or rearrange (first screen of options) and only let it retrieve missing music info if it is missing.

Good luck.

We have ipods but not itunes, I only use media player to rip new cd's, otherwise foobar2000 to play / manage mp3 tags and sync the ipods. Media player has a habit of 'updating' the tags in music files when you run it and that messes things up unless you turn that option off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've been pretty happy with Media Monkey for a few years now.

Reorganised everything when transferred to new laptop but the same happened, settings in WMP are off.

Tried Foobar and it did the same but with different files this time. Noted a few of the incorrect ones and went back to source file/album and there it is correct so muct be something on the tagging.

Not too bothered now, will just use my mp3 player but going to buy a new one. The one i have now is an iRiver ihp120. Bought it in 2001, battery lasts 8-10 hours with a 20 gig hard drive, drag and drop files without needing any installation, radio and storage for my important laptop files. Still works fine but going to get the 40 gig model from the States. Must be good as there is nothing really that can touch it even in modern terms, did buy an Archos 180 gig some time ago with all the extras, but they just seem to be plagued with problems and firmware ungrades. Back to iRiver i think as the one i have sells on ebay for the same price i paid over 10 years ago.

Back