Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Yokohama Geolander review.

It's worth noting that yokohama do a 500miles no question asked refund policy on the geolandar in the UK ( there may be some conditions etc, but the guy I got them from offered it as something they do through their official retailers )

So they should be atleast be willing to talk with you properly.

Regards

Appears to be good news Dave, at least, it shows that you haven't been consigned to the customer services' office cylindrical filing cabinet.
We do have some photos and video of the trail where the twig inserted itself. I can send it if you think it will help.

Regards

It's worth noting that yokohama do a 500miles no question asked refund policy on the geolandar in the UK ( there may be some conditions etc, but the guy I got them from offered it as something they do through their official retailers )

So they should be atleast be willing to talk with you properly.

Regards

I have never heard mention of any 'no questions asked policy', quite an offer when you consider most do not like fitting second hand tyres to the their cars. I mean, what else can they do with them, perhaps eBay?

Appears to be good news Dave, at least, it shows that you haven't been consigned to the customer services' office cylindrical filing cabinet.
We do have some photos and video of the trail where the twig inserted itself. I can send it if you think it will help.

Regards

Your quite the secret photographer Rodger! I did not know you had pictures, was you a stalker in your former life? :icon-biggrin: Please do send them, I am sure they will help with the 'discussions'.

Whilst I doubt I will get Marks compensation package, I am sure we can meet up for a beer in the very near future.

Regards

Dave

Hi Mark, yes it is progress however, I am unsure what I should be aiming for.

Dave, If I might suggest, when you do meet the Toyo Rep have a firm idea of what kind of compensation/rectification you want. Best not to be too 'wishful'. So I reckon (as you stated) go for a replacement tyre, and you never know they might view your case with some degree of compassion/humbleness and agree to replace all 4.

Dave, If I might suggest, when you do meet the Toyo Rep have a firm idea of what kind of compensation/rectification you want. Best not to be too 'wishful'. So I reckon (as you stated) go for a replacement tyre, and you never know they might view your case with some degree of compassion/humbleness and agree to replace all 4.

For what it's worth, I would agree.

What is your loss (excluding the inconvenience, stress and the like)?

It's a new tyre that you purchased.

Ask for no more and no less than your loss, that being a new tyre, same type and size to match the rest of the set you purchased.

On top of that, you can explain the heartache, the stress on you and your family, and the inconvenience caused by the event, you can even tell him that it exacerbated your haemorrhoids or your irritable bowel syndrome if you like, whatever.

It may gain some sympathy. I doubt it, but it's worth a go.

But, the bottom line is a new tyre, not a repair. Did you buy a repaired tyre in the first place? No, you bought a new one and you want it replaced, like for like, end of.

It's a basic principle of law, you should be returned to the position you would have been in, had the event not occurred.

You can offer to give him the broken tyre in exchange for the new one you're asking for.

It's not too much to ask.

JMHO

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Must disagree Clive the principal of law does not apply to "hush money" its a bribe full stop .

To replace the tyre does not address the problem , it simply postpones it because you will be left to drive around with 4 tyres that you already know can be punctured by a twig . So mr Yokohama what do you suggest .

Try and imagine you own the company what would you do .

Dave, please pm your address and I'll forward the vid and photos.
Stalker?! I am undone!

Actually the vid and photos are all from the other members of the GBU16 team, I just collected them all.

Cheers

Must disagree Clive the principal of law does not apply to "hush money" its a bribe full stop .

To replace the tyre does not address the problem , it simply postpones it because you will be left to drive around with 4 tyres that you already know can be punctured by a twig . So mr Yokohama what do you suggest .

Try and imagine you own the company what would you do .

Whatever you say Shayne, I'm applying the worst case scenario.

So what do you suggest?

It's like having a bad meal at a 3 star restaurant, the owner offers you a free meal and you refuse (presuming it would be another bad one). Do you think he'd offer you a meal at a 5 star hotel?

Doubtful.

Cash in hand hush money?
A weekend in Paris?
The answer will be a tyre or tyres and they will be twig susceptible Geolanders again...

Well if i was CEO i would be keen to thank Dave for making me aware that a small number of a bad batch had made it into circulation and so i will be happy to replace all your tyres and offer a no quibble mileage guarantee in the hope we can restore your faith in our excellent product . And please tell your friends .

Might seem like a big deal to a local stockist but for the manufacturer its like buying the company a pencil sharpener .

Well if i was CEO i would be keen to thank Dave for making me aware that a small number of a bad batch had made it into circulation and so i will be happy to replace all your tyres and offer a no quibble mileage guarantee in the hope we can restore your faith in our excellent product . And please tell your friends .

Might seem like a big deal to a local stockist but for the manufacturer its like buying the company a pencil sharpener .

Can't fault that approach Shayne, but I do doubt it being caused by a bad batch. I don't know the tyres, but it sounds to me like an unlucky "just at the right angle and speed for it to penetrate" type scenario, coupled with a tyre that has a softer sidewall construction than others that I am aware of.

You can fire a piece of wood through sheet steel if you get the approach angle and velocity just right.

I have never heard mention of any 'no questions asked policy', quite an offer when you consider most do not like fitting second hand tyres to the their cars. I mean, what else can they do with them, perhaps eBay?

Your quite the secret photographer Rodger! I did not know you had pictures, was you a stalker in your former life? :icon-biggrin: Please do send them, I am sure they will help with the 'discussions'.

Whilst I doubt I will get Marks compensation package, I am sure we can meet up for a beer in the very near future.

Regards

Dave

Good question. I should go ask. I bet there is plenty of fine print.

I think the issue is one of "fitness for purpose". The sidewalls are too thin. There's nowt can be done about that other than replace. Like I said above, recognition that there is a problem would be nice. The thing about being unlucky is it dilutes your position, gives him the advantage and he might agree with you, shrug his shoulders and 'walk off'.

Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs :oops:

Edit: smilies have gone wonky :icon-rolleyes:

IMO, anybody in business should make judgements erring on the side of the customer, especially in a business like tyres, where your customers have plenty of competitors to take their custom to.

They should never abandon their customers like in this case. They should be the first to move in a positive way, "were sorry for your bad luck Sir, and the inconvenience you've suffered. In the circumstances, we'll give you the benefit of the doubt and replace your tyre free of charge incuding refitment and no quibbles. In the meantime we'll take the failed tyre to the labs and test it for compliance with our stringent manufacturing specifications and we'll keep you informed of the outcome".

It would cost them very little and it's only civil courtesy to approach the matter in such a way.

While Dave was shrugged off with no response, he was angered because he'd been abandoned, and understandably he hit back with the only weapon he had, bad publicity.

So the company has already suffered damage from that for no reason whatsoever, especially if they end up replacing his tyre as they should have done in the first place.

The damage is already done with the bad publicity, and it's likely that even if Dave has faultless service from those tyres till the treads wear out, he'll never buy Geolanders again.

Another lost customer as a consequence of an unfortunate puncture. Not a good deal for the company whichever way you look at it.

Now your getting me Clive it should never have escalated beyond swapping a tyre , and a reasonable response at the outset might well have absolved them from even that . My CEO thing is damage control via rhetorical BS .

People tend to forget happy results but if there isn't one mentioned here or on the other forums a negative mark against Yokohama will engrave itself in the back of your mind forever .

There are valid points in all of the above and I thank you all for taking the time to put 'finger to keyboard'.

If the guy had turned up, and whether he agreed or not that it was a faulty tyre, or the sidewalls are a bit on the thin side (non of which were likely), I would have been happy for him to replace the tyre and call it done, I then get some use from the tyres without thinking about the repair when doing 70+ on the motorway and can put it to bed, perhaps as I would have more time in the future I may gather up the impetus to change my insurance company and then suffer the cost of another set of my preferred tyres, and then get stuck into the paperwork (and cost) to get them accepted. But instead he thought he would simply forget me, for this he has come unstuck, I have little doubt he has been instructed by Yokohama HQ to get his arse in gear and sort this out.

Re further compensation, I am not an 'ambulance chaser', compensation comes in many guises, and giving Yokohama some stick on a forum is easy to do and takes up little time, as long as the statements are true and factual then that is enough. Readers who are potential Yokohama customers can take from it what they will, and make their own decision whether to go ahead with the purchase. I did say I would not let it take over my life, I have better things to do.

I treat my customers with respect and wherever possible bend over backwards to help them, often at my own cost, so knowing that I can do it I expect nothing less from another business.

Thanks all again for your input.

EDIT: I have now received confirmation that the rep is arriving here next Monday the 12th, I will keep you informed.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
good luck with it Dave, a new tyre is the minimum I would think

Been following you story there Dave To date.
I got a quote today on Yokohama GO12 for replacement but feeling your pain there I don't feel confident to buy these now.

Been following you story there Dave To date.
I got a quote today on Yokohama GO12 for replacement but feeling your pain there I don't feel confident to buy these now.

I am not sure how these stack up pricewise to say a BFG AT, and as there is no comparable BFG size to suit the speed rating that the Spanish ITV (MOT) stipulate I had not even reached cost comparison. What was the price for you over there for stock size, JFI?

I think I am making headway has the rep has confirmed next Monday for a meeting, I have tried tow emails to get a time from him but he has not replied. I appreciate he may be coming from somewhere like Madrid which is over 500 km's away but would at least prefer an am or pm just so I can work my own schedule out. Given his salary and the traveling cost, it would have been easier to send me a new tyre. He knows they were purchased 'proper' with recorded mileage, and not some shady cheap deal.

I have some free time coming up and rather than die of boredom, if he does not turn up I may use my final ace and call it done, but that will rock his boat.

If that is the case the I will remove two of the Yokohama's and purchase two replacements, you cannot have different brands of tyres on the same axle here in Spain, that may mean a couple of Toyo 'Open Country' AT's, and keep the Yokohama's as two new spares.

EDIT:

Rep confirmed via email appointment is for 09.00 Monday morning.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
I am not sure how these stack up pricewise to say a BFG AT, and as there is no comparable BFG size to suit the speed rating that the Spanish ITV (MOT) stipulate I had not even reached cost comparison. What was the price for you over there for stock size, JFI?

I think I am making headway has the rep has confirmed next Monday for a meeting, I have tried tow emails to get a time from him but he has not replied. I appreciate he may be coming from somewhere like Madrid which is over 500 km's away but would at least prefer an am or pm just so I can work my own schedule out. Given his salary and the traveling cost, it would have been easier to send me a new tyre. He knows they were purchased 'proper' with recorded mileage, and not some shady cheap deal.

I have some free time coming up and rather than die of boredom, if he does not turn up I may use my final ace and call it done, but that will rock his boat.

If that is the case the I will remove two of the Yokohama's and purchase two replacements, you cannot have different brands of tyres on the same axle here in Spain, that may mean a couple of Toyo 'Open Country' AT's, and keep the Yokohama's as two new spares.

EDIT:

Rep confirmed via email appointment is for 09.00 Monday morning.

regards

Dave

I understand fully your dilemma there Dave. After researching these tyres read mix reviews with punctures on the side wall common.

Living in Cyprus customer service is poor let alone non insistent. Hence why it's so important make sure as a customer we don't fall into a bad situation. No ones here wants to accept responsibility after selling their products & guarantees mean little.

I hope you get a satisfactory result soon there to at least put this issue behind you.

All the best

Last edited:
Back