You car is spying on you

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
This is quite interesting
https://www.elektormagazine.com/new...233877397&mc_cid=4fe6c18185&mc_eid=050c268e20

German motor club ADAC has examined which data are sent, without you knowing, to the manufacturer by Mercedes-Benz B-series cars, the BMW 320d and i3, and the Renault Zoe. ADAC stresses that these are just examples. Worryingly, it’s not just the health status of many car systems, but also on the usage profile and driving behavior of the driver that may end up on the car manufacturer’s servers, and from there, in Wild West Cyberland.

ADAC found that the Merc B transmits seemingly innocent data like the vehicle’s mileage, fuel level, coolant level and tire pressure, at two-minute intervals. Also, how many times the seat belts have been tightened as the result of brisk braking. And it goes on: GPS position, the car’s mileage in city traffic, on country roads and on motorways, which might help the manufacturer to create a usage profile for the driver.

I wonder when data like this starts making it back to the insurance company and decisions change based on it.

This is small-fry though compared to when cars like Tesla become main-stream. It already sends back a world of information.

In the least we just become "product" for the car companies (similar to how Google,Apple etc use data about us), but at worst I do think this will end up with insurance and government agencies where a speeding fine or refusal to insure comes through the post.

Might be time to purchase a 80 :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

You right. We're the commodity paying the corp to use their stuff.
We'll also start seeing adverts on our phones for life insurance, upgraded brake package for your car etc.

Now, where did I put my tinfoil hat :)

In the least we just become "product" for the car companies (similar to how Google,Apple etc use data about us), but at worst I do think this will end up with insurance and government agencies where a speeding fine or refusal to insure comes through the post.

Might be time to purchase a 80 :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

only a matter of time before this data is demanded as part of accident investigation, and that means an accident may not be looked at in isolation using just the relevant evidence, so you may not have been at fault, and driving perfectly reasonably, but they look back at your data and think, 'hmmn, this is a guy that 'makes a bit of progress' therefore he must be to blame'

'hmmn, this is a guy that 'makes a bit of progress' therefore he must be to blame'

Agree with you there.

Like the dash-cams. I think mine (if I had one) would get me into trouble with "spirited" driving profile and saying "well, he could have caused it"

Drove a N####N electric crap yesterday and when you turn it on it askes you if they can send out your driving data.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have been expecting satnav's that automatically print out fines while you drive for a while .

Mine doesn't, but then when 40s were designed you'd have needed 10 artics to drag a computer with you.
Mine only talks to me

I am not a number!

Agree with you there.

Like the dash-cams. I think mine (if I had one) would get me into trouble with "spirited" driving profile and saying "well, he could have caused it"
Ah but if you need info from your dashcam to reinforce a claim you can select which videos to present to the insurance co and delete the incriminating ones.

My truck is oblivious to data, and the outside world, it just purrs along in its own little dream world.

The way I like it. :lol:

I have my car connected to the phone with connected drive. Tells me fuel level, mileage, where the car is on a map, if it's locked etc etc. I can send nav routes and destinations to the car, turn the heater on and even flash the headlights just to annoy the wife. It tells me if the battery is low and such things.

I can be lazy in the car and even call someone, tell them where I want to go and they send it to the nav lol.

The car transmits it's data to bmw but stores much more in the control unit memories.

A lot of new cars are fitted with collision avoidance systems which use cameras, we were discussing this the other day tbh at work. We reckon the car will start recording like a dash cam at some point and you'll be able to download it if been in an accident.

We have systems that use the cameras to read the road ahead and adjust the suspension accordingly, they can use nav data to ready the auto box to change gear too.

Still love my 80 though that has a proper key and the most up to date tech it has is a DAB radio lol

Ah but if you need info from your dashcam to reinforce a claim you can select which videos to present to the insurance co and delete the incriminating ones.

if your in a fit state and it hasn't been seized by the police!

I have my car connected to the phone with connected drive. Tells me fuel level, mileage, where the car is on a map, if it's locked etc etc. I can send nav routes and destinations to the car, turn the heater on and even flash the headlights just to annoy the wife. It tells me if the battery is low and such things.

I can be lazy in the car and even call someone, tell them where I want to go and they send it to the nav lol.

The car transmits it's data to bmw but stores much more in the control unit memories.

A lot of new cars are fitted with collision avoidance systems which use cameras, we were discussing this the other day tbh at work. We reckon the car will start recording like a dash cam at some point and you'll be able to download it if been in an accident.

We have systems that use the cameras to read the road ahead and adjust the suspension accordingly, they can use nav data to ready the auto box to change gear too.

Still love my 80 though that has a proper key and the most up to date tech it has is a DAB radio lol

I'm inclined to think the more you isolate a driver from the actual function of driving, and the more frivolous activities you put in front of them, the less safe they become.

if your in a fit state and it hasn't been seized by the police!
Very true Mog, I hadn't thought of that, I was thinking more of a less serious accident where only the vehicles were damaged.

If you use a smart phone they can collect everything they want to know from that , even your walking speed . When they will start using our data against us is the only question .

If you use a smart phone they can collect everything they want to know from that , even your walking speed . When they will start using our data against us is the only question .

very true, and it's not just them. You can make a kit up from stuff at Maplins that will enable you to identify a phones access code, one you have that you can then download software onto the phone that enables you to use it as a listening device, not just to conversations on the phone, but to conversations in the room, even when the phone is switched off!!

The whole concept is creepy. We are moving to a society where your every move is watched and monitored. Just like in science fiction futuristic societies. Trouble is, the future is now. It started with all the cameras on the streets and motorways, and is becoming increasingly invasive. It has built up slowly, so you get used to a little bit, thinking 'yeah whatever', adjusting to the new normal and before you know it the next invasive thing arrives. Everything gets watched ... Number plate recognition, facial recognition, your comms and internet traffic, your phones physical location, whether you are stationery, walking, running, travelling by car, even you health biometrics. Not all get transmitted to a central server, but its a matter of time. Sounds like Orwell's 1984, which was published in 1949 ....

Time to run to the hills, in a 40 or an 80!

Back