Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Differential grinding noise when parking - Prado 97 3400 V6

More information would probably help ... as in as much information you can possibly tell us about the sound and what is happening when it occurs ;)

More information would probably help ... as in as much information you can possibly tell us about the sound and what is happening when it occurs ;)

Thanks for the reply grantw.

It happens during parking when the car is moving really really slow. Something like 1-3 kph. The sound could be heard when I turn the steering wheel (even slightly) to the left or to the right, when going either forward or backward. The sound goes something like 'kroog kroog kroog kroog' and it goes continuously as the wheels turn. The sound seems prominent at the back part of the vehicle.

I am a newbie with 4wds but after some googling on the net, I also read about CV joints thinking that it may be the possible culprit. However, I looked at the CV boots but they all seems good.

The diff lock isn't engaged is it?
Or a mudflap adrift of its mounting perhaps?

Mudflaps are secured firmly. I have the shifter at H.

I have also checked the LSD oil at the rear differential and the level is ok and it still looks ok (reddish color not black)

Are you sure it isn't the power steering making the noise? Might need bleeding.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a similar problem until i changed the front anti roll bar bushes , heres a pic stolen from a thread by Fridayman , see it all here http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/41756-Front-Anti-Roll-Bars
SDC10342.jpg

Here are some additional info:

- It does not make the sound when going straight (either forwards or backwards)
- It makes the sound when I steer starting around 40 degrees either to the left or right
- The sound stops when my steering reaches 180 degrees OR when I accelerate and go 15 kph and faster

I recall that I recently had the car 'underwashed'. It made the sound sometime thereafter. Might it be that some components lost its lubrication due to the pressure washing? But, I also had some components greased after that.

I also had all the brakes checked and cleaned to have it ruled out. Had the front brake pads replaced. The problem existed before and after the brakes were checked.

I think I know what may have caused the problem. The noise started after I have jacked the car at the front. I placed a floor jack in the middle of the metal bar in between the front wheels. Then I placed two stands at the ends of f the metal bar for support. I realized that this may have caused the problem when I was going through the manual and read about the specific 'jack points' of the car which should be by the other bar behind it . Anyway, the car was lifted like this for 3 days. Does anyone have an idea what could have been broken or got loose? The propeller shaft maybe? I see nothing suspiciously wrong after doing a visual inspection.

Some more additional information:

- the sound occurs even when slightly stepping on the brakes or slightly engaging the hand brakes
- the sound occurs even when I have the car on neutral - as long as the car is running slowly and the wheels turned either left or right
- the sound occurs regardless whether I have it set on LL, HL or H

I can't imagine what bar you jacked the truck up on but it seems very likely to me you have bent it so everything connected to that bar is now under undue stress .

I can't imagine what bar you jacked the truck up on but it seems very likely to me you have bent it so everything connected to that bar is now under undue stress .

Just to clarify, the bar I am referring is the front wheel axle (underneath the oil pan/cover). I removed the oil pan/cover before I jacked it up.

Well you never bent that !

Can't you get under the truck a let someone else turn the steering so you can work out exactly where the noise is coming from .

Just to clarify, the bar I am referring is the front wheel axle (underneath the oil pan/cover). I removed the oil pan/cover before I jacked it up.

Under this metal plate...

Attachments

• 20131215_072927.jpg
    20131215_072927.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 20131215_072949.jpg
    20131215_072949.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 107
Well you never bent that !

Can't you get under the truck a let someone else turn the steering so you can work out exactly where the noise is coming from .

Yes I don't think so either. Please disregard my post regarding the problem being caused by me having it jacked up here.

I am actually currently at the service station. The mechanic is also clueless as to the source of the noise. Is there a particular part you want to see? I can take a pic and post it here.

I think you might be needing this http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=1016&vid=921

Just to be clear i'm no mechanic and have only recently starting messing with these trucks myself . There are many others on here who can offer far better advice but not until the source of the problem is identified .

Last edited:
Back