Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Could this be the new LC?

Did someone from Audi defect to Toyota?
Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Prado-Rendering-1.jpg

I don't think the dash of the 150 is anything to write home about and they certainly seemed to do a good job at ruining it more :(
Made from old tesco bags?
Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Prado-Rendering-2.jpg

Clocks might be nice? Hard to tell...
Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Prado-Rendering-4.jpg

Back to the 120 look?
Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Prado-Rendering-5.jpg

Audi?
Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Prado.jpg

Judging by the (admittedly pixelated) dashboard Range Rover et al don't have anything to worry about :(

I'm not sure if I like it or not, I do like the bottom halve of the front but haven't made up my mind on the rest. I would like to see it for myself first.

I love what they did in the 200 inside and I was hoping they would take it closer to that, I don't like this one, yet, it might grow on me

I do hope we can get something with a bit more oomph as the 2.8L and 3.0L just doesn't feel like enough for the truck but I guess that will be a pipe dream.

bit more oomph as the 2.8L
The 2.8 will happily cruise along at 80/90mph on highway but it does work hard to get there. Had mine for almost 8k now of town driving and find the engine quite pap :(

I am happy with my 3.0L on the motorway, its in and around town where I feel it most, its like you say, it feels like it's working harder then it should and here there are loads of hills so it's even more noticeable.

I'm thinking really hard about getting it chipped but have read that they guys in Australia and SA have ended with cracked pistons with them on.

The new hilux in U.K. Market has only got the 2.4 l engine, not the 2.8l option...
Not so good for towing apparently

What type of chips have cracked pistons
I have fitted a Steinbauer chip to my 3.0l hilux

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's not just chipped trucks, there are reports of cracked pistons on non chipped trucks as well, from what I've read, the hilux suffers from this as well.
The newer 2.8L trucks apparently have the newly design pistons but I have one of the last 3.0L engines and I think it has the older design which could crack.
There is a tsb about this over on pradopoint in the tread about it all. There is also a tsb from Toyota SA where they were able to reproduce the cracked piston from what I understand.
Here is a link to it.
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=445116&d=1493893738
http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?40283-CRACKED-PISTON-holed-piston-PRADO-1KD-FTV-be-aware

Of course, as with anything on forums, it's mostly the bad that gets reported and our trucks could outlive us all even with a chip fitted.

That might make it easier to get past the bank manager :lol:

Poor engine choice. I really do dislike the engine in mine.
Why not something silkier? The 2.8L 4 in-line is rough.

Shame too about the styling. I think they missed a good opportunity. :(

You hardly see 150s on the road yet everyone man and his dog had a LR of some description. The market is there...

i quite like the look. but as you said the engine choice needs more range and power.

Not sure how many new Landcruisers are sold in the UK but I would imagine the numbers are small and getting smaller every year.

IMHO the problem is that the Landcruiser, in the UK/Europe at least, is priced firmly in the mid-level luxury 4x4 market. The 150 and its replacement have to compete with Discoverys, Audi Q5/Q7s, X3/X5s, MLs and perhaps even used versions of RR sports and similar from towards the top-end of the luxury market.

The Landcruiser's utilitarian roots work against it when up against other 4X4 that were primarily designed as road going luxury cars*. Now obviously as Landcruiser enthusiasts we may be biased, however take any of the above for a test drive and I dare you to say that the Landcruiser drives, rides or handles better than any of its competitors. The engine ranges in the others are better too (shame we don't get the D4D V8). Not only that, unfortunately it doesn't have the badge appeal or the perceived "status" of the others either. Ask the man-on-the-street whether they would prefer a ML/Q7/X5/Disco or a Landcruiser on their drive?

On a slight tangent: In these days of uncertainty over fuel prices, emissions, road tax and everything else that seems aimed at the motorist, add in the relatively cheap lease deals available and sinking your hard earned into buying ANY new vehicle outright these days seems a bit of a folly.

* I know that the Disco etc. have excellent offroad credentials but they are very much designed and marketed in that mid-level luxury sector.

Over here I see plenty of cruisers every day, mostly 120's but there are a few 150's around. I've not worked out why yet.

I don't see the land cruiser and the discoveries in the same market as the Q7/X5 and the likes. Ok, so the discovery probably does better in competing with them then the 150 but I can't see a Q7 being used for overland touring and driving up a mountain somewhere, I mean, you can't even get a spare wheel for them. The only other contender that could match Toyota and LR here is Jeep.

However Toyota could have at least given the option of a bigger engine but then how reliable are they going to be? I'm not talking about a V8 in the 150, maybe a 3L V6? Something with more BHP.
I was thinking the other day and it does seem like they are using older tech in a way, for example the 6 speed gearbox where everyone else has gone with 8 or more gears. It must have something to do with it. Maybe Toyota places reliability before the power, I don't know.

I like the look of the 2018. Looks a bit more like the 200 only slow. Loosing the V6 I don't think is a surprise as it only held %2 of prado sales. The v8 from the Lexus would have been a treat though!

With regards to piston failure hamba, As far as Ive been able to determine the failure begins with the injectors going out of spec which heats the piston to a point where the piston cracks at the edge. The facelift model 150 has updated injectors (extra DLC coating is the difference I think) and pistons redesigned so the edges are stronger.
So if the injectors are looked after{good fuel filtering/replaced when out of spec) or replaced with the newer type the cracking shouldn't occur.

Over here I see plenty of cruisers every day, mostly 120's but there are a few 150's around. I've not worked out why yet.

I don't see the land cruiser and the discoveries in the same market as the Q7/X5 and the likes. Ok, so the discovery probably does better in competing with them then the 150 but I can't see a Q7 being used for overland touring and driving up a mountain somewhere, I mean, you can't even get a spare wheel for them. The only other contender that could match Toyota and LR here is Jeep.

Compared to the 4x4/SUV market as a whole, overlanding is a very niche sector and TBH, not something that any of the manufacturers will be particularly interested in when designing their vehicles - however during the marketing stage, they certainly sell us this dream lifestyle of freedom, being able to go anywhere, anytime but that really is all marketing fluff. The current popularity of crossover vehicles such as the Nissan Qashqai etc. is a testament to the allure of that "lifestyle".

Above I was referring to the UK and (Western) Europe - however there will always be a market for Landcruisers in Africa, Asia, Australia etc. where the infrastructure is more rugged. In those markets, the 150 series is not in the same sector as MLs/Q7s/X5s etc.

Back