Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

305's or 315's?

There's an eternal debate on what is "better" a body lift or a suspension lift and for me, it all depends on what you are looking to get from the "lifting" process.

If you want longer suspension travel, then a body lift will do nothing to assist. If you only want more body clearance from the ground, then either will give you useful results.

One factor which is generally argued in favour of a body lift is maintaining a lower centre of gravity, whereby most of the heavier bits (engine G/B T/B etc.) stay put, and only the body goes up.

So, carefully consider what you need, is it just to accommodate bigger tyres? If so, maybe a body lift is enough.

Take care with a body lift, I wouldn't recommend much more that 3" if 2" is not enough. Then I'd go for a combination of the two.

Mine's a 110mm suspension lift, it's high for offroading and works well on the black stuff too. JMHO...

I see, thanks for the insight. Looking over the 80 on the ramp while i am rebuilding the swivels, i am wondering whats the max the body can lift with no mods to other stuff, anyone know??
I see the wiring to fuel pumps, steering shaft, brake pipes, radiator fan guard being an issue but how far can you go before needing to mod those bits?
Not so keen to go more than a 2 inch suspension lift, as even with the caster specific bushes i don't want to lose the caster too much. Maybe these questions been answered before and i need to read more.......

Depends what you call big tyres?
I run 35's with a 2.5" suspension lift with extended bump stops. I haven't had to change the castor and it drives great on and off road.
No body lift needed.

Mine has 2 inch body lift done by the PO. I had to 'modify' the fan shroud as it was catching the fan. Ideally though a new shroud needs fitting and adjusting to fit lower. Also the steering column is at quite an angle and really requires a spacer. The proper 2 inch lift kits have all the stuff required but are not cheap. I'd guess 1 inch was the most you could lift without modifying anything.

That's the downside of body lifts, and manual transmission gear levers fouling the gaiter hole... to boot. (Pun intended) :lol:

Its getting clearer :icon-cool:
I am planning on Mickey Thompson MTZ in either a 265/75 x 16 or 285/75 x 16 which i think is 32 / 33 inch respectively.
Just measured the wife and at 5 foot 1 inch recon a 2 in lift and 2 inch body lift she won't get in without ladders :lol: so just the 1 inch body lift for me :whistle:
hopefully if someone on here has done a 1 inch lift they might give me some insight to and tricks / pitfalls to what out for....
Thanks guys...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
why would you want a lift with the 265 75? they will fit in on standard height.

I ran 255 85 which is the tallest 33" tyre and they didnt rub on standard suspention.

Are you going to to a body lift before suspention? why would you do this?

stu

I run 285/75/16's on +50mm Springs, no body lift required for tyres that small, I think you will also end up with unsightly gaps at the bumpers with a body lift unless you adjust them as well?

I'm running 265/75 r16 coopers on mine and have no issues of rubbing on or offroad. You really don't need a lift, unless you're looking to make it look a bit higher? As standard she does look a bit low on just the 265s.
as for body vs suspension; I'd go for suspension. A lot less modifications and hassle. Especially if it's a manual.

im surprised the big difference between the 2 legendary offroad monsters LC80 and Y61, put 315 on my patrol on some very tired factory suspension, tired i mean they are so tired that they one day actually broke driving on road, no rub no touch of anything on full lock no lift needed, and we talking 2 inch 2,5 and 4 inch, body and suspension lift, etc just for a set of 315 on the 80s!

Thanks for the feedback guys, might not bother then at all. The truck already had a 2" suspension lift when i acquired it. Just listening to locals here in OZ that i really need a body lift to clear the mud holes. With a body lift the bumpers are in the same place so not sure what i am gaining, as you all say.
Beach and dune driving with the kids will be my biggest thing with some bush trails when i feel a bit more confident.
Cheers for feedback

You cannot beat the looks and performance of 35s on 80s. they just look and feel like the car should come with those tyres from factory. :icon-twisted:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revientalo4x4
Youtube: goo.gl/32QZ8g
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Revientalo4x4
Facebook: goo.gl/f3fPRR

Last edited:
Back